PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

How do i install chrome fuel door? and also chrome hood vent

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Default How do i install chrome fuel door? and also chrome hood vent

Mine doesnt come with chrome fuel door... im wondering how is it to install it if i were to buy it online?

and does H3 comes with the chrome hood vents with the handles ala H2?

Old 08-23-2009, 12:34 PM

Here is what I did. Got the chrome cas cap and suround covers off E-Bay for about $35. Not the door like you are looking for, but just thought I'd throw it out there. Also I got one of the "Hood Grill Covers" that stick on over the black piece that is there, but the 3M tape sucked and the peice was warped and there was no way it was going to stay on at 40+MPH. So I bought one of the Real Wheels Stainless Steel Replacement Hood Piece. Just pop the black one off and mount this on. Here are some pics.

Before:
Name:  PittsburghChildrensMuseaum2009039.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  125.1 KBName:  PittsburghChildrensMuseaum2009040.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  101.3 KB

After:
Name:  H3002-2.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  72.0 KBName:  H3004-2.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  75.7 KB

Hope this helps.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Default AHh the Ol Chrome Fuel Door

I got a Borla Cat Back System and a Chrome Fuel Door in the mail on the same day. I had no reservations about putting the Exhaust On, but I was fully prepared to pay the Hummer Dealer $75 to hang the fuel Door.

Well the Exhust took literally 45 min from start to finish, no problems whatsoever. (Be sure to buy 3" Band Clamps, the small exhaust Clamps that Borla sends are a Joke).

After my Buddy and I finished this, he noticed the Chrome Fuel Door on my Back seat, ( I hid it so he would not see it because I knew he would want to do a self install right then). He began pressing me as to why I did not want to install it myself. "You can put an exhaust on but you won't mess with a stupid fuel door". I just didn't want to mess anything up I said. After some more **** talking, he convinced me that it was going to be easy.
So we taped the Template on the fender, drilled the starter holes, Drilled the real holes, poked the metal grommits in, and all that was left was pushing the Fuel Door into place, so far we only spent about 10 min on this project.

Now comes the fun part, the jackass starts to push in the Door into place and half of it goes in alright, the other half will not budge. We beat it, push it, kick it, ect.. nothing will seat this Fing door. So now an hour into it, I have an unacceptable half *** fuel door. So with it beginning to rain and also get Dark he decides the only way to get this door on is to take the fender off and go at from the other side. Needless to say it took over 4 hours to get the damn door on, and I needed to buy new clips to hold the fender in to place.

Had I been doing it alone from the start I probably would have been ok, but his impatience and halfassness made this a nightmare job, well worth the $75 that the Dealer would have done it for.

Honestly it's not that hard and a tech at hummer said that they take the fenders off a lot of the times to do it as well, it's just much easier that way.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

The chrome hood garb... got no idea. Usually a stick and smile job. I really do not like the chrome hood louvers. Could ya tell?

The door install. We have a search feature. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...rome+fuel+door

Old 08-27-2009, 08:41 AM

most hood handles needs drilling...

does anyone if theres one that doesnt need and where to buy them? 3m tape prefferred....

i am not from the USA theres no hummer dealer in my country i have to do it myself and i am not taking any risk

thanks

Old 08-27-2009, 04:55 PM

xxterxx,
The one that's on mine is easy to do. Took me about 45 min. The Drilling is of the 2 bottom holes (the top ones go through the OEM slots) and aren't in an area that you have to worry. Plus the piece has a sealer around the whole outside to keep the water out. But if you still want one that just covers and sticks with 3M, then they are on E-Bay. (saw one on there today for like $85) Like I said, the one on E-Bay was what we went with first. After trying to stick it down, I didn't trust it to stay. I found the one I have on now from a place online and it's great. No worries about if it's stuck on or not.