PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

How to add roofrack light bar wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Default How to add roofrack light bar wiring?

I see that on the 2007 Special Edition, they have a pigtail coming out of the topmost left side marker light, out of a grommet hole, on the roof just above the driver's head. This pigtail is the power lead that connects to the optional offroad light bar pigtail (roof rack with integral off road lights).
Here is the question: I have an 2006 H2, NON-special edition, with no pigtail coming out of there. I want to add the FACTORY offroad light bar found on the SE's. This one has the tiny rectangular lights in it. How hard is it to add this wiring? HAS ANYONE DONE IT?
No gueses please, I need to know for sure. Is it a plug-n-play wiring harness extension, or something more difficult to install? Where does the wiring run to? There is a toggle switch on the SE that is mounted on the overhead console. Then where do the wires go from there? Anyone have part numbers and description or schematic?
Any help is appreciated. Here is what the bar looks like. Pigtail can not be seen in photo ..Anyone with this light setup to sell? If so, send Private mail...

[IMG]local://upfiles/2842/C6388B062A3446C68D1A4478409E6E66.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: How to add roofrack light bar wiring?

I don't have any of what you are talking.... but with the no guess request you had I can add a few things.

I have a switch mounted in my overhead console that I use for my brush guard lights. There is a lot of room about the headliner that you can easily run wire.

The headliner comes out very easily. All you have to do is pull the little squares out of the grab handles and it drops low enough that you can easily run wire.

You are correct, it is easy to run wires in through the roof light grommet... just make sure you seal it again after you are done. The wires will run through the roof... then you have to fish it through a hole to go down the "A" Piller...

If this was my project I would forget any factory wiring. It is just as easy to do it yourself. Get the lights, run the wire to the battery, add a fuse.

The switch can be put in the overhead console.... but it can also be put below your headlight switch. There is plenty of room there and other companies have used that space for the dual battery kit.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:13 PM

Hello Finall,
I've done the lights on the grill guard and the switch and wiringare almost the same. You said that you are going to use the factory light kit. First of all the light kit will come with a very detailed instruction book and all nessasary parts. One thing that the factory kit does is eliminate the option ofusing a electrictrailer brake control.The light switch plugs into the relay box to the left of the steering column under the dash, it uses the same connection point as the trailer brake control. The wire to power the lights goes up the "A" pillar along with the wires for the switch. The wires for the switch goes over to the center overhead console (there is a template included with the instructions as to where to drill the hole for the switch)and the power wire for the lights goes out through the clearance light on the left (drivers side)of the H2's roof. A new harness is supplied for the clearance light. Use caution when ancoring the wires in the "A" Pillar if you have a sun roof, the drain hoses use the "A" pillar also and if you pinch one water will not drain properly and it will leak into the headliner.

I hope this helps

Old 11-22-2007, 11:53 PM

Hey DWP99,

Thanks for the help. This info is really usefull. I did not realize that the OEM light bar would include all the parts, including the wiring harness.

That is good news, and shouldmake buying a brand new light bar from the stealership a better deal than trying to find a used one without the toggle switch, info, and wiring harnesses (I understand 2 are required). The wiring harnesses are about $200 from the dealer.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:00 AM

Hey Finall,
I'm glad I could help. I installed the grill lightkit on my H2 a while back and decided I'd like a couple more switches like the one that came with the lights. I ordered 3 from the stealership,$33.50 each. It was a good thing a friend worked there and got me a discount. I think I ended up paying $24.00 each, still a ripoff but I made such a deal about getting them that I bought them anyways. I later found the same switch (less graphics and pilot light) at Radio Shack for $2.49 each.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:22 PM

hi guys , hey i got the xtc roof lights but no wiring can somebody send me a wiring diagram so i can do it , Thanks RKI

Old 07-02-2010, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Muddydawg75
I don't have any of what you are talking.... but with the no guess request you had I can add a few things.

I have a switch mounted in my overhead console that I use for my brush guard lights. There is a lot of room about the headliner that you can easily run wire.

The headliner comes out very easily. All you have to do is pull the little squares out of the grab handles and it drops low enough that you can easily run wire.

You are correct, it is easy to run wires in through the roof light grommet... just make sure you seal it again after you are done. The wires will run through the roof... then you have to fish it through a hole to go down the "A" Piller...

If this was my project I would forget any factory wiring. It is just as easy to do it yourself. Get the lights, run the wire to the battery, add a fuse.

The switch can be put in the overhead console.... but it can also be put below your headlight switch. There is plenty of room there and other companies have used that space for the dual battery kit.
How do you remove the overhead console? I have a burned out map light and can't figure how to get it out?

Last edited by atashashane; 07-05-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:46 PM

If you still need help doing the install call us at 866-714-9988, one of our installers would be happy to help you over the phone.