PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Horn Swap. How do I get the grill out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Default Horn Swap. How do I get the grill out?

Forgive me, I've owned my H3 for 3 days and been on the Forum for less than a day. Love them both!Will learn the search functionality on the site soon.At any rate, this facory horn has got to go! [:@]Ordered air horn. In the meantime, is the H3 grill pretty easy to remove? Just haven't had the chance to get in there yet. Any help appreciated.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Default RE: Horn Swap. How do I get the grill out?

Check out this thread, it has description and pics. It's really easy, takes about 5 minutes. https://www.hummerforums.com/m_18521/tm.htm

Old 04-17-2007, 12:46 PM

Let us know about the airhorn and where you got it and how hard the hook up is. My horn is broken due to too much water damage lol... I was looking at some train horns from hornblasters.com

Old 04-17-2007, 09:19 PM

I got a trian horn on my H3 a few months ago. I love it. I get all kind of looks...lol. It would have been alot easier to put on if it would have been done right the first time. The original horn was taken off and it tripped the passlock sysytem and had to have it towed to Tampa to have it fixed.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1760/0BFF59E1CD74437F81C157FEC82ABB3B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-17-2007, 09:34 PM

The grill is very easy to take off, just 4 screws (I think)if you have no brush guard yet. Look up the associated thread and you're good to go.

I swapped out the single factory horn for a pair of Autozone 135 db"Highway Blasters". The package said "Big Rig" sound but to my ears, the H3 has more of a loud, big Cad-oo sound now. Still like them though!

One other thing to note. The harness for the factory horn ends in a weather-lock connector. You'll have to cut it off and substitute female spade connectors so pick up a pack if you don't have some already and maybe some wire in case you want to move the horn further away from where the factory horn is mouned. Otherwise, there's a lot of room to work with for mounting larger horns between the grill and the radiator.

Good luck with your project!

Old 04-18-2007, 10:26 AM

So if I disconnect my stock horn it's going to set something off that can only be reset by a dealer? Also where is your grill is that just a picture with it taken off or does it not fit any more now that you added the horns? Last, but not least lol... how much did the total install cost or did you do it yourself?

Old 04-18-2007, 12:39 PM

ORIGINAL: 2luke2

So if I disconnect my stock horn it's going to set something off that can only be reset by a dealer? Also where is your grill is that just a picture with it taken off or does it not fit any more now that you added the horns? Last, but not least lol... how much did the total install cost or did you do it yourself?
You should be fine if you disconnect the battery -> swap horns -> then reconnect battery. The passlock (apparently) kicks inif an 'unscrupulous' person tries to disconnect your horn 'alarm' before he steals your truck. If passlock kicks in for some reason, you should be able to deactivate it by following the procedures we used for a PCM swap. Can someone else confirm this?

Old 04-18-2007, 01:05 PM

I disconnected my horn to swap it out with a pair of Caddy horns and left the battery connected...No problems..

Old 04-18-2007, 01:06 PM

I've got an '06, no problem with Passlock and I didn't disconnect the battery either. In my case, I just modified the cable end with spade connectors and extra wirefor two horns in parrallel. I also just did the same mod to one of my other GM cars with anti-theft system and all was okay too.

If you install airhorns, I believe you will need to add a high current power lead and arelay to safely drive the associated compressor. Maybe the Passlock problem has something to do with diving deeper into the electrical system to power the relay?

Old 04-18-2007, 06:12 PM

never heard of a orn setting off a passlock system before and we wire alarms to them all the time...thats odd.

Quick Reply: Horn Swap. How do I get the grill out?