PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Honest opinions: H3 vs. Chevy Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Default Honest opinions: H3 vs. Chevy Silverado

So I know they're not really comparable at all, but I'd love some input-- especially coming off owning a 4-door sedan, this is quite a change of pace.

I'm in the market for a new vehicle and have narrowed my choices to the truck or the h3. I am looking for an suv or truck that's comfortable and could tow a small (2,000 lbs) fishing boat. I was completely sold on the Silverado but a bit turned off by its mammoth size. I went to the Hummer dealership and fell in love with the h3. As it stands, I'm really on the fence. This would probably be a no-brainer for me were it not for the comments I've seen about constant rattling problems, a lack of power (the alpha isn't an option for me), weak horn and a cramped back seat.

I would love some honest opinions (I realize they'll be biased toward the H3, but I'd love to hear the good and the bad). I'd especially love to hear from anyone who has tried towing with their h3.

Thanks!

Old 12-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Default RE: Honest opinions: H3 vs. Chevy Silverado

ORIGINAL: GatorGrad07

So I know they're not really comparable at all,
then why ask the freakin question?

Old 12-01-2007, 11:03 PM

If you can afford it, try renting one. I too was looking to make a big decision like you and rented the vehicles (they have some great weekly rates out there). When I drove the h3 for a week, my mind was made up quick! Great vehicle, solid, not as underpowered as you may think and more versatile than a pickup. Not to mention it looks great and has an awesome crash rating.

Combine that with the loyal group of H3 enthusiasts out there who can help you around dressing it up and the h3 is the way to go!

As far as the rattles, and a cramped back seat go, hell I own a jeep so I'm not worried about it. Those are usually isolated instances by in large as well. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2007, 12:50 AM

first of all do you live in a mountainous area or mostly flat and also do you need the truck box for hauling things or is a closed in back good enough. I have an H3 and love it i have utility trailers for hauling things around and it works great for that. the back seat is actually really roomy i am a big guy and it is comfortable for me to ride back there. there is not that many sqeaks and rattles, what you read on the forums is a handful of problems from thousands of different trucks mine has 63000 km on it now and i have had very few troubles and i still like to drive extra miles when i go out just because it is fun to drive. my freind has a 2007 chevy 4x4 and he loves his truck the way i love mine and he also is having good luck with it. I would get the H3 and also a cheaper work truck then you have the best of both worlds.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:05 AM

I say get the H3. You won't regret it.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:51 AM

I have owned both. I traded a 2001 Silverado for my 07 H3. They are both great trucks. The Silverado is bigger as far as shoulder room. Unless you are getting a crew cab The H3 actually has a little more rear leg room. As far as power, I honostly think their power to weight ratio is very close, with a slight edge going to the Silverado. My Silverado had the 285 hp 5.3 and 4 speed AT. They are both about high 16 second quarter mile trucks (not fast, but fast enough). I think the H3 is more comfortable, and the suspension is a lot stronger and better. I never hauled anything so the H3's cargo area is great compared to crap rolling around in the back of the truck. I would suggest you go to kbb.comand compare them side by side. Then you can see things like dimensions. The 08 Silverado's may be bigger and nicer then my 01, but I would still pick the H3, because it will always turn more heads then the nicest Silverado, and perform better offroad.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:13 AM

A few months ago, I went through the same process you're going through now. I was considering SUV's as well as pickups, including the Silverado. Great truck in it's own right, but the length of one that would give me the same passenger room as an SUV would have forced me to reconfigure my garage to make it fit in length-wise. Also, outfitting one to a comparable level as far as trim and options go was putting the price of a truck well above what a loaded H3 Alpha runs. I don't haul stuff that's truck-bed-worthy often enough to justifythe garage space or the price. The gas mileage issue was moot as they are very close when outfitted with a V8 which is all I was considering.

Plus, there was the "wife factor". She needs to be able to drive it so it had to be an automatic - but more importantly - it has to drive and act more like a car. She needs to be able to haul groceries in the back without having to wrestle with a heavy, clumsy tailgate and it needs to be maneuverable enough to negotiate parking lots fairly easily. The H3 fills most of those requirements handily. The H3 is a great grocery getter with an assist to the rear door opening and has the turning circle diameter that rivals most compact cars. The short length compared to a pickup makes it easier to drive in traffic and parking lots and the rearview backup camera option is an excellent aid to the reverse-challenged to those like my wife. The H3 also fits easily into my garage with room to spare. Another awesome benefit to going with the Hummer is the warranty - it's a GM vehicle so you get the 5/100K drivetrain coverage the Silverado gets. (When I looked at the Crand Cherokee SRT8, they were not covering them with their lifetime warranty, only the lesser models.)

We pretty much looked at every pickup and SUV out there and feel the H3 was the best vehicle we could purchase to meetthe majorityof our needs well. I ordered the trailering package in case I need to haul something along those lines and I can either buy, rentor borrow a trailer when the time comes.

Oh, and nothing even came close to the "coolness" of the Hummer. The styling is awesome and the interior is beautiful and richly appointed. I've got two modified Vettes that don't get near the attention this thing gets from friends and strangers alike. I doubt a Grand Cherokee or F150 would've garnered anything more than a passing glance.

Best of luck in your search.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:07 AM

I just traded an '04 Silverado ext cab Z71 for my H3. My Silverado was nicely optioned and a really good truck. But I needed a a more "family practicle" vehicle that still allowed me some minor hauling capabilities. The H3 met those needs, plus the cool factor helped close the deal! [sm=shades.gif]

You comments about not being comparable is for the most part true, but you obviously like both of the options or you wouldn't be asking for opinions! I think, you need to look at what you want/need out of the vehicle and then assess the benefits of both. I think you will probably come to a pretty definite decision.

One other thing, from the little research that I did I believe that you will get more (options/add-ons) for your money with an H3 vs. a comparably priced Silverado.

Good luck w/ your decision!! BTW, my wife is a Gator Grad!! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-02-2007, 02:07 PM

Alot of the problems your hearing actually probably make up about 5% of all the H3 drivers. I love mine, and wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm sure i seem bias but as well as the looks, i also feel safe, and even though i'm not an off roader. Just knowing that your capable of handling anything that come along is a big plus!

Old 12-02-2007, 08:05 PM

My wife had an 06 H3 and I had an 07 Silverado, she feel in love with an 08 that had a cutom paint job on it so while we in the dealership doing her paperwork I found my Tactical. My Silverado was an extended cab 4x4and had a 5.3L my tactical has the 3.7L and I haven't had any problems with the power difference. I love my H3, obviously since I'm a repeat buyer . I haven't noticed any more "rattles" in the Hummers than in any other vehicle that I have driven. Maybe I've been lucky, but we are on the 3rd one and still not a problem. As for towing, I really only pull a small trailer if I do, but I haven't had a problem. Not sure if this unbiased enough for you but that's my .02 cents worth.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3487/9097EF3B9142464F9926697AD0183697.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3487/96AD897221C6408AACF52646B757E4AF.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Honest opinions: H3 vs. Chevy Silverado