PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hitch mounted cargo carrier

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Default Hitch mounted cargo carrier

I am considering one of the hitch mounted cargo carriers for my H3. I am wonderiing if anyone has used on and if it has caused any noticeable lifting of the front end ?

If I did this , I would have the rear inside cargo area loaded with luggage , nothing especially heavy and probably some additional luggage on the carrier itself.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:47 AM

I've used one a number of times. Unless you really go overboard with the load, you are not going to lift the front end.

Consider that the H3 has a maximum allowed tongue weight of 500 pounds for towing. As long as your cargo carrier weighs less than that, you should not expect any problems. If the weight approaches that limit, you probably have far exceeded the limits for the cargo carrier.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:48 AM

Great , thanks for the info. I have it all loaded up with probably 100 lbs worth of stuff and along with 4 suitcases inside , saw no visible deflection in the back end.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:02 AM

Hi,

Even though the thread is a couple of months old, I was wondering on what brand of carrier did you use? Was it a basket or box? Was there any clearance issues with the back door and spare tire? Was the spare removed or left alone? I understand that the front did not lift, but were there any other driveability issues (i.e. braking, turning, etc...)?

- TheStiG

Old 07-23-2009, 10:57 PM

I bought it at tractor Supply and it was made in the US. http://www.carry-ontrailer.com/product/HITCH_AC.htm

I had NO issues with the spare tire encroaching on the carrier. It projected out just far enough. I couldn't open the rear door with it on though. I figure with the unit itself I had 100-125 lbs total and it did not case the back end to drop at all and caused NO problems during the 2,000 mile trip. It worked out well and was a LOT cheaper than the roof rack plus the roof rack would have caused more drag.

Price was $59 on sale. This was a wire mesh unit with a 2in lip around the bottom to help hold the cargo in place.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:02 PM

Got mine at Bass Pro. No problems with fit other than some limitation on what I could put right in the center & as mcsap said - can't open the rear door with it fully loaded.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:23 PM

Has anyone tried the basket style? I'm looking to buy one but want to make sure it would fit and still keep the spare tire attached.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:01 AM

I like a roof rack more (I have the Rola with extension). The problem with the hitch mounted racks are that you have to remove everything to open the rear door. I had the Warrior Products one that sat up higher. The lower ones might work but greatly effect your departure angles (I camp in some remote places).

Just a little food for thought.