PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

hitch mount motorcycle/storage racks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 05:32 AM
Default hitch mount motorcycle/storage racks?

I have sort of an odd hobby, I collect vintage minibikes. I traded my truck in for the hummer, so I have lost that nice open box in the back to just toss in those crusty oil dirt covered barn find bikes when they come up (not going inside the Hummer)

They don't weigh much, couple hundred pounds max but usually just about 100 lbs. The spare tire could actually be and advantage as its something for the bike to sit against and not hit the rear door, but I'm worried its not going to to stick out far enough to clear the width of the tire front the hitch.

Anyone use any sort of hitch rack or M/C carrier on their H3 with good results?

Old 03-19-2012, 06:12 AM

I've got the aluminum version of these, and it's been great. I used it to bring my snowblower in for service, pick up a file cabinet, and other bulky items. You'll also want the extender tube to clear the spare. These items go on sale all the time, so check.
Hitch Cargo Carrier - 500 lb. Capacity
Aluminum Hitch Cargo Carrier - 500 lb. Capacity
12" Hitch Extender

Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Banned

if that thing will carry 500lb they should make what i need; a small plow to scrape the center of my gravel driveway so i can rake it flat,huh.
didnt see any at hf.
anyone??

Old 03-19-2012, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by markass
Anyone use any sort of hitch rack or M/C carrier on their H3 with good results?

i cart a full size dirtbike on the back of my h3 using a hitch hauler. i ratchet strap the bars down and then i strap around the chassis on the bike right to the spare tire, going through the spare/wheel itself. cut a piece off an old radiator hose and put it over the peg closest to the truck because when pulled up tight to the spare, the peg will gouge the aluminum wheel and could cause damage to the bead area.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:56 PM

sorry for stating the obvious but be sure to remove the spare tire cover when using a hitch hauler.

my hitch hauler is a basic model and rated at 250 lbs, although i rode the bike onto it one day and me and the bike together are a good 400 lbs. they also make some beefier models to haul multiple bikes. i've seen single haulers for under $100 on craigslist and doubles for $150. i've seen triples too but honestly, if you're hauling more than 2 bikes just get a trailer. you'll be surprised how often you'll use a trailer when you have one, plus it will balance the load better and most hitches are only rated for 500 lb tongue weight.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Default Sarge Industries Aluminum Motorcycle Carrier

This motorcycle carrier is made by a friend of mine. It might be a little more than you need but i figured since i've personally seen him carry a 400lb sportbike with it i would recommend it. Here is a link to the carrier, it is made of T5 Aluminum. If you mention hummerforums i'll see what i can do about a discount.
Sarge Industries Inc.

Attached Thumbnails hitch mount motorcycle/storage racks?-sarge-industries.jpg