PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hitch Carrier, any suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Default Hitch Carrier, any suggestion?

When I bought my H3, I knew it's not big inside. It can just carry a little more than my small ford focus. Now I have a new baby and should carry the cart every time. The cargo is almost filled by the cart itself! Next month I'll send my in-laws to airport together with my wife and the baby. We should carry four adults+a baby+6 big cases! Now I'm considering to buy a hitch carrier. Do you think they are big and strong enough to carry at least three checked-in luggage? Any disadvantage? Any suggestions appreciated.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:29 AM

Take a cab!

Old 03-09-2010, 07:17 AM

I bought this one at Harbor Freight Tools. Works great! It goes on sale quite often for $69.99. They also make a steel version that's cheaper.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92655

Old 03-09-2010, 07:49 AM

I'd get a roof rack. Alot more stable than one of those hitch carriers. Plus you could get more luggage up there.

WGW

Old 03-09-2010, 08:45 AM

I have 2 hitch carriers, a steel one and the aluminum one shown above.
The steel one is crap. It wobbles and bounces around.
The aluminum one shown above is nice and tight in the receiver tube and doesn't shake around. It should hold the luggage nicely.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:03 AM

Bought one at Bass Pro for about $100. Seems to work well enough.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:19 PM

Any problems with the exhaust heating or melting the carriers? How about the side rails height of the carrier hitting the spare tire or still being able to open the back swinging hatch? I'm really wanting to buy one of these but trying to avoid any problems.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chad Wonderly
Any problems with the exhaust heating or melting the carriers? How about the side rails height of the carrier hitting the spare tire or still being able to open the back swinging hatch? I'm really wanting to buy one of these but trying to avoid any problems.
I've never had problems with exhaust.
The side rails are low enough to clear the spare tire.
You can open the rear hatch if the carrier is empty but you cannot open the rear hatch once things are loaded onto the carrier.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:02 PM

I've got two of theses HF style all Aluminum and there pretty decent.
Aluminum Hitch Cargo Carrier - 500 lb. Capacity

Chris

Old 04-24-2013, 04:42 AM

Thanks for the reply... Thats the exact one i'm looking at getting. i think it has 9" sides so i was worried it might hit the spare. was mainly gonna use it to move my push mower, edger, gas cans. heard they have plastic corners on the carriers? few people complained about melting if the vehicle exhaust comes out the rear of the vehicle. also looking at one on amazon that looks the same but has 7" sides instead. it is $20 more but i think its a foot longer also.

Quick Reply: Hitch Carrier, any suggestion?