PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

high beams don't work!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Default high beams don't work!

Is it possible that my high beams really don't work? When I flip my highbeams on, my fog lights turn off, and I don't notice any change in light intensity or brightness. We are expecting snow tomorrow and I have a 3 hour drive at night..high beams would really come in handy! As far as I remember they used to work fine...what gives??!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Default RE: high beams don't work!

Fog/driving lights are designed to go off when you flip on the high beams. The high beams give you a wider, more distant light. It will definitely be much darker right in front of your vehicle vs. low beams and driving lights together. You lose brightness immediately in front of your H3 while you gain range.

I just drove 1000 miles yesterday, 11ish hours in dark, and used the low/driving combination 90% of the time vs. high beam, all on rural, unlit highway.
[/align]

Old 11-21-2007, 06:54 AM

The H3 high beams just SUCK!! Upgrade them.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:06 AM

but here's the thing - when I switch to high beams, nothing changes! I believe the high beam bulb is the center one, correct? not even the bulb changes. Not sure what would cause that....any ideas?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Did you check fuses? And yes the Hi Beams are pretty weak. Actually, the reflector is not the greatest, and hence the hi beams suck.
Low-Beam and High-Beam: Headlamp H13 per the manual.
The H13/9008 is a dual single bulb 55/65 watts I believe. Chances of both highs going at once would be slim, buy a lotto ticket.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:38 AM

Thanks Doc...i'll go check it out!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:59 AM

Ok...so I may just be missing the point here, but I am still having some issues.

I checked my fuses...2 10 amps, one for right and one for left. There is also a 70 amp relay that is labeled Hi Bm/ Lo Bm ...not sure if a relay can go bad, or how to check it's integrity. When I turn my high beams on, the cluster illuminates but that's it.

I guess i'm not sure how to troubleshoot it from here. I have a new set of Silverstars to put in as well, but haven't done so yet. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Old 11-26-2007, 09:40 AM

I have noticed the same thing with my Alpha. I will watch this post for a resolution for this issue. If you find that the Silversatarsmake a difference please update the post and I will go out and buy a set
Thanks

Old 11-26-2007, 10:04 AM

Glad i'm not alone...I just rolled 54k on my 06, so nothing is under warranty anymore! Looks like i'll be doing this one on my own....i'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2007, 09:58 PM

i would say multifunction switch ...............does it feel or sound like it clicks when you switch from low to high?

Quick Reply: high beams don't work!