PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

HID IT,S LEGAL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 11:40 PM
Default HID IT,S LEGAL?

HI, SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH, I"M NEW IN HERE .
I JUST BUY JDM 6000K AND IS ALREADY INTALED IN MY H3, BUT AFTER INSTALL I NOTICE THIS:
Beware of illegal kits: Like any other industry, distributing illegal parts fails to build long term relationships, fails to offer reliable product guarantees, and carries strict finds. Distributors and consumers alike should be aware of the tell tail signs of illegal systems:
1. Product sold as a “retrofit” or “adapter” packages to the Stock OEM system: HID systems that are designed to replace the bulb inside of OEM housing can not take into account the changehttp://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41131d optics in replacing the stock halogen bulb, reducing visibility for the owner and increasing glare for oncoming traffic.

2. Markings: Some HID systems are sold as complete replacements for stock systems but still do not meet DOT requirements. Ask the sales man to confirm the manufacture that it is DOT compliant or look for the appropriate markings. A device that is DOT compliant will have SAE markings indicating their intended use. All Xenon HID headlamps should be marked with an “HG” on the lens. Examine the lenses of the headlamps; do they have “DOT” marked on the lens? This is your assurance that these headlamps, are legal for on-road use in cars and trucks in all states, provinces, and territories in the US and Canada.
* Manufacturing and distributing such systems can carry fines as high as $24,000 per system sold. This is only at the federal level, at the state level further fines are assessed against the owner of the vehicle; this can be a costly occurrence when taking into account the system expense, installation, removing the unit, replacing the OEM system, and paying associated fines.

ALSO I FIND THIS:
http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41131

I DON'T SEE ANY DOT REQUIREMENTS IN THEJDM KITBOX....SO..?? I THINK I LOST $200 BUCKS..RIGHT?

Old 03-31-2007, 12:17 AM
Default RE: HID IT,S LEGAL?

Not sure where you are at by I am in Colorado and have a decent knowledge of the traffic laws here. There is no specific limit on the type of headlights or how bright they are, just on how they are aimed. The statute reads "Whenever a driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within five hundred feet, such driver shall use a distribution of light or composite beam so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver. The lowermost distribution of light or composite beam shall be deemed to avoid glare at all times, regardless of road contour and loading."

Hope this helps.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Racerboy80

Not sure where you are at by I am in Colorado and have a decent knowledge of the traffic laws here. There is no specific limit on the type of headlights or how bright they are, just on how they are aimed. The statute reads "Whenever a driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within five hundred feet, such driver shall use a distribution of light or composite beam so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver. The lowermost distribution of light or composite beam shall be deemed to avoid glare at all times, regardless of road contour and loading."

Hope this helps.
I agree....Just worry about HOW THEY ARE AIMED and I doubt you'll have a problem!!!

Old 03-31-2007, 02:12 AM

If that disclaimer came with the lights you had installed, then that's their way of covering their asses if they sell those to you and your State has restrictions against those type of lights..The responsibility is now in your hands...Aim them proper and you should be fine.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:46 AM

It's not really that, its if the are DOT certified..

In a recent NHTSA's response to an HID conversion kit vendor, it says:
"...The kit that you furnished us appears to be designed to replace an H1 replaceable light source, ... The first part is labeled "HID Bulb Set" and contains two replaceable light sources... The second part is labeled "HID Driver Unit" and contains a ballast, an ignitor, a relay, and adapters to convert the motor vehicle’s wiring harness to be compatible with the HID conversion kit.
Based on a review of the H1 light source specification filed in the Part 564 docket (#3397), it is apparent that this is a significant redesign of the H1 light source. At the most basic level, an H1 light source incorporates an incandescent filament in which light is produced by a metallic wire coil heated to incandescence by an electrical current, whereas the HID conversion kit’s light source incorporates a discharge arc to produce the light and requires a ballast for operation. Thus, in order to comply with paragraph S7.7 of FMVSS No. 108, your light source must comply with, inter alia, the dimensional specifications for the metallic wire coil filament size and location, the electrical connector size and location, and the ballast would need to be a design currently on file for use with an H1 light source. Complying with the dimensional aspects of the H1 light source appears to be an impossibility considering that the wire coil filament and the electrical connector are not a part of your design. Furthermore, there are no ballast designs on file for use with an H1 light source. HID conversion kit is not a design that conforms to the Standard and could not be certified as complying with FMVSS No. 108...

that help the confusion?

Basically, you would need anew housing for the HID bulb to dispurse the light correctly. Are you going to find a police officer that will cite you for this? Probably not, bit I have seen it happen a few times..