PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hi-Lift Jack Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Default Hi-Lift Jack Questions

Amconsidering getting a hi-lift jack for the H3... Am sure some of you have considerable experience with the jacks. Does anyone here know:

- what is the minimum length required to comfortably be able to jack the truck up? (36, 42, 48, 60"?)
- where would the best jack-up points on the truck be?
- short of clamping it on the roof, would a 48" or 60" jack fit in the rear compartment (without folding rear seats) for transportation?

I'm thinking of using it primarily as an emergency hand winch, but at the same time, why not use it as an actual jack??

Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hi-Lift Jack Questions

The 48" will fit in the rear cargo compartment of an H1. I haven't carried it in the H3 but doubt it would fit in the cargo area. The height of the jack is related to the height of the vehicle you are trying to jack up. If you have a high clearance of lifted vehicle you would want the taller jacks. I have 48" jacks. Get the cast ( red )not the stamped ( black ) The hi-lift people make a kit that they claim makes winching with the jack much more efficient and easier. I have not used it but have seen it at off road places.I think it runs about $70.00. As to where you would put it I have seen them mounted in every location imaginable. Depends on your options based on your truck. Roof rack, brushguard, rear tire carrier, etc.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:54 AM

I carry a 48" in my H3. It won't lie flat sideways in the back. I keep it in the HiLift storage pouch to keep the dirt out of my truck. I have seen some people attach the jack to their brush guard, which would be ideal if you off-road a lot.

I also bought the wench kit since I do not have a regular winch on the front. I tried it once just to get the hang of it. It works slow, but it is better than nothing! I also keep a 30 ft logging chain and a 30 ft tow strap along with spikes and a sledge hammer. I figure this will get me out of most bad spots, if I need it.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:30 AM

there aren't many places on an H3 to put the jack for lifting it up. hi lift does sell a tow hook chain contraption that will allow you to use it on your tow hooks. otherwise you'll need some beefy sliders or a tire strap attachment to lift the truck. i think they sell a hitch attachment as well, so that may be an option. never heard of it being used as a winch, sounds interesting and dangerous all at the same time. i'd recommend a shovel as part of your recovery kit as well. digging out a "ramp" in front of the tires, in the direction you want to go, will greatly improve your recovery time and lessen the effort required.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

They actually will work as a winch. Like Cbetts said it is slow but works. The kit they make for that is supposed to make the process quicker and more efficient. Kind of a nice back up since most of us have our winch on the front. Allows you to winch from the back also. The tire lift kit might work also as a lift point option.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:01 AM

It's a great tool but pretty dangerous if not used properly.

You can put it on the floor in front of the back seat but you don't want it flying around inside if you roll the truck.

You can attach it to your roof rails.

I put it on my roof rack for trips. I don't like leaving it out in the rain all the time since the pins can rust.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:28 PM

there aren't many places on an H3 to put the jack for lifting it up.
The main reason I have the full length steps on the side of mine. Perfect for assisting a lift. I would not trust the full weight of the truck on them, but it is better that nothing.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:15 PM

You might be able to lift on the tow hooks or get the j shaped adaptor usedfor bumpers.

I'll have to try lifting my H3 with the jack on the rock rails

The jack will also fit into 2" hitch receivers

On my old Jeeps I would use the Hi Lift jack on thewheel/rim or even the locking hub if I had to.