PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

hi flow cats

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:44 AM
Default hi flow cats

Hey guys I got a check engine light on that's throwing a 0430 code. So i'm debating either getting some hi flow cats or just ditching the cats altogether and getting some mil eliminators. Emissions is not required where I live and I don't drive the truck much anyway. Anybody put hi flow cats on there truck? Any noticeable increase in power, mpg, and or sound?

Old 05-14-2014, 01:49 PM

I havent done it yet, but plan to.
There are a few writes ups online about guys running the OBX headers with hi flow cats. I get the same code.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:52 AM

Hello .. iv had high flow cats on my 2008 h2 , also check engin with the same code was noticed .. in addition the only benefit of high flow that Iv seen is reduction in engine temperature "vary tiny change" & little power up & slightly sound increase. ..

Keep in mind high flow cats may generate bad smell of fule .. and thats why I came back to my OEM cats and the check engine disappeard

Old 05-17-2014, 07:18 AM

Ok, here is my two cents on the "cat" situation.
If you are not living in an area that requires a smog inspection, then "cut 'em" or "gut 'em"

I have the rattle cans under my rig also and plan to take a sawzall to them and replace them with pipe.

If you are unaware, cats are an emission controlling unit. Meaning they control how much crud your truck puts out. Given, with diesel'd 18 wheelers bellowing out massive amounts every time they shift, I dont see how the cats help cut down on smog. Especially if you have ever driven in to NYC from Long Island on the L.I.E. or Los Angeles from Las Vegas on the I15 pass. Nice to see that green/purple haze looming over those cities and see how well the cats are doing.....

Anyways.... You will need to put in an O2 sim to get rid of the code... and with the cat gone and with everything running correctly you should see an increase in performance, louder sound, and some cooler temps.

Now you shouldnt have to worry about anything in your exhaust going bad unless it rusts.

Just understand that messing with the cats is a "federal crime" and that some shops wont cut the cat out... thats the criminal part (fine used to be 10,000 bux but I am sure it has gone up)... BUT if you cut the cat out and bring it in and ask them to weld in a piece or you just clamp in a new piece... thats not criminal. It is the removal that the shops will usually say no to.

Hope this helps

Old 05-19-2014, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the help everybody and jsbihn i'm going to go that route. I'm going to order the mil eliminators and I have a friend that can cut them off and weld pipes in there place. I'll keep you guys updated.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by jsbihn
Ok, here is my two cents on the "cat" situation.
If you are not living in an area that requires a smog inspection, then "cut 'em" or "gut 'em"

I have the rattle cans under my rig also and plan to take a sawzall to them and replace them with pipe.

If you are unaware, cats are an emission controlling unit. Meaning they control how much crud your truck puts out. Given, with diesel'd 18 wheelers bellowing out massive amounts every time they shift, I dont see how the cats help cut down on smog. Especially if you have ever driven in to NYC from Long Island on the L.I.E. or Los Angeles from Las Vegas on the I15 pass. Nice to see that green/purple haze looming over those cities and see how well the cats are doing.....

Anyways.... You will need to put in an O2 sim to get rid of the code... and with the cat gone and with everything running correctly you should see an increase in performance, louder sound, and some cooler temps.

Now you shouldnt have to worry about anything in your exhaust going bad unless it rusts.

Just understand that messing with the cats is a "federal crime" and that some shops wont cut the cat out... thats the criminal part (fine used to be 10,000 bux but I am sure it has gone up)... BUT if you cut the cat out and bring it in and ask them to weld in a piece or you just clamp in a new piece... thats not criminal. It is the removal that the shops will usually say no to.

Hope this helps

If you are from the city we all remember when you couldn't see 10 city blocks because of the smog. Now the air is a lot cleaner so In Los Angeles at least it has made a HUGE difference in air quality. as a kid my lungs would hurt just from riding my bike to school.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:39 PM
Lightbulb

If you run the High Flow cats or racing cats and/or if you just got a P0430 or P0420 code you can get some spark plug anti-foulers from your local auto parts store and install them on the O2 sensor that is installed after the cat to eliminate the code. They usually come in a pack of two. You drill one out with a 1/2" drill bit and insert it into the one that you didn't drill out. Screw them into the O2 bung and install the O2 sensor into them. This pulls the O2 sensor out of the direct flow of the exhaust.

Attached Thumbnails hi flow cats-14321d1224480094-5-fix-5-spark-plug-non-fouler.jpg   hi flow cats-spark-plug-anti-fouler.jpg  
Old 06-07-2014, 10:57 AM

Hey guys just wanted to give you all an update. I went ahead and got rid of the cats and so far i'm VERY please. I bought some MIL eliminators off Ebay and had one of my mechanic buddies cut the cats off and weld new pipe in there place. Exhaust noise is a little louder and probably to loud for the average person since my truck already had dual 40 series Flowmasters but I like it. Not for sure on mpg improvement yet cause I haven't ran a tank through it yet. Going on a 600 mile road trip next week though so we will see how it does. Thank you all for your help and suggestions.