PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hemi Grand Cherokee or H3 I-5?? Compare..

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Default Hemi Grand Cherokee or H3 I-5?? Compare..

Hi I'm new here, name's Denny. I'm looking for a new DD and this forum seems to have a good group of enthusiasts. This will be my first BIG dirt toy to go in the garage with the ktm. I test drove an 07 H3 Lux and loved it. The I-5 was a little saggy considering it was just me and an empty tank of fuel but I realize it wasn't meant to be a race car. Does anyone tow with these things?? How much weight? Also considering a Hemi grand cherokee only because it has proven power and mpg will be similar because of the displacement on demand feature.

How do they compare? Has anyone owned both?

Sell me on the H3. 99% of people are pointing me to the jeep. Most say the H3 is a poser soccer mom suv for yuppies... with a side of horrible reliability, weak engine.

Looking to spend under 20K..07-08 with under 40k miles.. Alpha H3 would be ideal but they are all priced well above that. Alpha ruled out. Any info would be great, thanks!!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:57 PM

Oh yeah, I would also take this DD to the sand dunes and on Michigan trails a few times a year.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:17 PM

I'm hardly a soccer mom yuppie

Name:  100_2306.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  172.2 KB

I have the I5
I have no problems on the street or trails, mud, rocks, sand

It doesn't go 0 to 60 in 2 seconds, it's not a sportscar, it's a truck

I have no desire to own a Grand Cherokee, they're boring !

Old 11-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Howdy. I'll try to answer short and to the point.

An I5 H3 gets SUBSTANTIALLY better mpg the the Hemi or std V8 GC. The hemi Jeep is going to do 12-14MPG, about 8MPG towing anything on the eway. My 6000# H3 gets 17 all day, and can get 18+ on the highway IF you do not exceed 75MPH.

Does anyone tow with these things?? How much weight?
The I5 has a towing capacity of 4500#. I towed our 4000# boat on a 1400# trailer 415 miles 65MPH (70-75 on the big down hills) and got 11+ MPG.

Contrary to the opinions you say have been provided to you from uninformed, the I5 is not underpowered. It is an inline motor, gobs of low end torque, not high winding HP. It makes power in a different band, and is not like the V6 or 8s that people drive with in their street cars and trucks. Mine has a few simple mods, (intake, PCM tune, cat back exhaust) and will run any where anytime with any stock V8 powered truck. I can regularly embarrass full size pick up owners who heard that H3s are underpowered, and I remind them that my truck is SLOW, how'd my back door look?

Reliability??? My truck is 44 months old, wheeled regularly, and never been back the the dealership. One of the best vehicles I've ever owened.

Poser? The GC is the poser. In stock form, nothing, I mean NOTHING, can wheel with an H3 Adventure short of a Jeep Rubicon. The Base or Lux non adventure (no locker) H3 is no slouch either, and can easily out wheel GCs.

I have several friends running Hemi GCs, and a couple with Commanders as well, they are sweet street cars, and can do some mild off roading, great for hunting, fishing and outdoors, but they learned quick they can't follow the H3 off pavement. At lease not without me draggin their azzes out and through the chit they get hung up on.

What I am trying to say is you are not comparing apples to apples. If you plan on wheeling your vehicle, then the H3 is for you. If you are a roady who drives a few dirt trails and two tracks, then the GC is probably what you're looking for.

Good luck on your quest.

Road Work
Name:  DSC02825.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  123.0 KB

Off Road Play
Name:  20100605_018.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  159.8 KB

Old 11-12-2010, 02:31 PM

Noted..

I've never seen that color, looks great!!

Old 11-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bunger
I'm hardly a soccer mom yuppie
Are ya sure?

I'm not either, but I do wheel wearing boat shoes. Seriously, I do, ask any of the Michigan gang from CHO.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:55 PM

I recently picked up an H3, traded a Cherokee (not grand) in on it. The Grand Cherokee was also on my short list, along with an Xterra. The question really comes down to what you want to do with it. As Doc says, if you plan to keep it on the road with only the occasional dirt/gravel trail then the Grand is probably the better choice. Nicer, IMHO, and a better on-road vehicle - just how they were designed. If you plan to really push it offroad like I do and clearly Doc and Bunger appear to, then the H3 is probably the better choice. As mentioned above, the GC is a bit boring looking as well, but that's more subjective than anything else.

I do find the I5 to be a but sluggish, but I've searched and read enough posts that I really believe some basic upgrades and a PCM tune will make a huge difference. I haven't ran across a single post where someone installed a PCM tune and still thinks their H3 is underpowered (they may exist, I just haven't seen them).

Old 11-12-2010, 03:57 PM

watch some of this guy's videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/matters8#p/u

Old 11-12-2010, 10:20 PM

Sounds like you have been watching too many commercials. It is funny how you come on asking advice and at the same time you stereotype the vehicle. Sounds like you may be better suited for a Hemi. No one needs to sell you on a H3. It sells itself.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by soonerta
Sounds like you may be better suited for a Hemi. No one needs to sell you on a H3. It sells itself.
C'mon Soonerta,

That's just not nice. I too was on the fence when I started looking having heard the same rumors. After doing a little research the answer was clear and here I am today the PROUD owner of my very own H3.

In response to the original question. There is more than enough info on this forum. You are welcome to look through all of it (the good and the bad) to help provide you with the answer you seek. In the end only you can be the judge. After all YOU will be the one driving it.

Quick Reply: Hemi Grand Cherokee or H3 I-5?? Compare..