PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Helwig or Other Sway Bars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Default Helwig or Other Sway Bars?

Anyone use these? Stock height?

I have a 2008 H2 Lux... Looking to upgrade things...

tips on what not to go with?

Old 06-12-2015, 11:10 PM

I installed both front & back Helwig.

I don't know how long it takes to wear out a sway bar, but compared to 105K miles on the originals, the overbuilt ones made a HUGE difference in cornering & stability. I'm really, really happy with them.

This was on an 09, but I believe they fit all years.

Are there other options? I don't know of any.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:06 AM

I thought I saw a couple others but all were smaller than these or hollow not solid.

What other upgrades have you done? Not looking to lift...

I just just ordered an Airdoc about an hour ago... And now looking at exhaust setups... a few Long tube headers or just sticking stock up front and doing a catback... Looking for a tune as well...

Old 06-13-2015, 08:04 AM

Helwig has always made a quality product.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by ISrt300
I thought I saw a couple others but all were smaller than these or hollow not solid.

What other upgrades have you done? Not looking to lift...

I just just ordered an Airdoc about an hour ago... And now looking at exhaust setups... a few Long tube headers or just sticking stock up front and doing a catback... Looking for a tune as well...
My vehicle was bought used & just hit the 111K mark, so take that into consideration.

I've done the following:
1. Replaced stock bumpstops (originals were rotted out)
2. Replaced front shocks with adjustable King offroad racing shocks (originals needed to be replace)
3. Replaced differential crossmember with custom crossmember (bushing was eroded by oil)
4. Replaced stock 20x8.5" wheels w/ 17x9 & AT KO2s. (8.5" is too narrow for many tires & I wanted more sidewall; 20x9 + 20" tires are really expensive by comparison)

In the process of:
5. Replacing break pads & rotors (again, replacing all original parts due to wear)
6. Rear King shocks (I've been waiting 2 months; I honestly hate working with King)
7. Replace Upper Control Arms w/ Kryptonite UCA.

Down the road:
8. Diesel swap (This is why I've mentioned no performance upgrades)

I still have yet to confirm if the lower control arm can be upgraded. At the same time, I'd like to know if the Kryptonite upper control arm can handle a coilover & if my front shocks can be converted over to a coil over. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the torsion bars. That's if it's even necessary. I don't know yet till I get the rest of the suspension upgraded.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:51 AM

The whole diesel swap... when you do this, can you retain 4 wheel? What are the downfalls to swapping?

Old 06-13-2015, 08:52 AM

What brake setup do you use too? I thought maybe to go big brake... but maybe stock and get some Hawk pads... I use them on everything else and love them

Old 06-13-2015, 09:53 AM

The whole diesel swap... when you do this, can you retain 4 wheel? What are the downfalls to swapping?
What brake setup do you use too? I thought maybe to go big brake... but maybe stock and get some Hawk pads... I use them on everything else and love them
Just so you know, you can edit a post. That way, you don't have to double post.

Depends on what you consider a downfall. From what Iv'e seen, no one retains the h2 drive train that include, AWD (says 4x4 on the dash), 4hi & 4lo. You love the unique form of traction control. I never use TC2, so I really don't care.

I think you can do 2WD, 4hi & 4lo OR 2WD, AWD & 4lo. I'll be going with the latter. I want 2WD for dry days & MPG, AWD in bad conditions (it rains a LOT here & excessively heavy) & 4lo for really bad spots where I'd need to crawl.

As for the breaks & pads, I ordered Stillen slotted & drilled rotors. They were excessively expensive, but the quality is top notch. I bought hawk pads to go along with them. I won't be doing break lines anytime soon. I don't have the time for it, considering it's not necessary right now.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:02 PM

So, I ordered the front and rear sways and waiting for them to arrive. Picking up my Borla exhaust this weekend and I have the Ranchos 9000's in hand and will install them at the same time.

Before I do all this, I have been contemplating having the whole undercarriage undercoated. (Frame and under-body) Not sure if I will though... I dont have that much rust but, I do have some...

Anyone ever rust proof and do an undercoat? Some type of wax that hardens up. Looks good but, worried about over-spray and it covering stuff that shouldn't be covered.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Synthetickiller
My vehicle was bought used & just hit the 111K mark, so take that into consideration.

I've done the following:
1. Replaced stock bumpstops (originals were rotted out)
2. Replaced front shocks with adjustable King offroad racing shocks (originals needed to be replace)
3. Replaced differential crossmember with custom crossmember (bushing was eroded by oil)
4. Replaced stock 20x8.5" wheels w/ 17x9 & AT KO2s. (8.5" is too narrow for many tires & I wanted more sidewall; 20x9 + 20" tires are really expensive by comparison)

In the process of:
5. Replacing break pads & rotors (again, replacing all original parts due to wear)
6. Rear King shocks (I've been waiting 2 months; I honestly hate working with King)
7. Replace Upper Control Arms w/ Kryptonite UCA.

Down the road:
8. Diesel swap (This is why I've mentioned no performance upgrades)

I still have yet to confirm if the lower control arm can be upgraded. At the same time, I'd like to know if the Kryptonite upper control arm can handle a coilover & if my front shocks can be converted over to a coil over. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the torsion bars. That's if it's even necessary. I don't know yet till I get the rest of the suspension upgraded.

Kryptonite Boxed Lower Control Arms | DMAX Store

the lower control arms can be replaced