PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

HELP-On the road and can't get in gear.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kingpenm3
Well, it's been right at one month since I had the breakdown and I finally got the hummer back yesterday. Here's what happened:

Took it back to the dealership that I bought the truck from (non-GM, bought it used). They said it was over their head and to take it to a GM dealership.

Had it towed from there, but the company that towed it (that also is a car shop) said they could fix it, they wasted their time diagnosing it because the repair ended up falling under the 100k mile powertrain factory warranty. So they towed it to a GM dealership.

They agreed with the diagnosis from the first shop, that the actuator that switched the transfer case was defective. Ordered parts, installed parts, still no fix.

Then they opened up the transfer case to see what was going on internally, to find that the plastic fork was broken. Replaced it and I'm finally good to go again.

Funny part is that when I was googling for info from the start, a broken factory plastic fork was what came up the most often.

Best part is, all of this didn't cost me a dime. Factory powertrain warranty took care of all of the repairs, and insurance even picked up the tow charge.

That is good news. I do recall that the TSB included the 08's regarding the plastic shift fork. I think there is a misconception on most forums that the 08's got the metal ones or maybe it was an early or mid-year change. Hopefully someone that has torn into their 08 transfer case can clairfy.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
That is good news. I do recall that the TSB included the 08's regarding the plastic shift fork. I think there is a misconception on most forums that the 08's got the metal ones or maybe it was an early or mid-year change. Hopefully someone that has torn into their 08 transfer case can clairfy.
They didn't tell me if it was plastic, I just assumed, they just said that they had to replace a broken fork.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:18 PM

*Cough-cough*

Old 10-31-2012, 12:31 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Smittro
*Cough-cough*
Ricola

Old 10-31-2012, 12:35 PM

so could the fork have been broken because of the towing? according to the manual, it shouldnt have since its okay to tow with the 4 wheels on the ground. i wonder if this was an engineering overlook.....

Old 11-02-2012, 04:45 PM

I had the same thing happen to me in May 2011 after towing. It turned out to be the actuator switch. It was still under warranty, so towing and repairs was all covered. Turns out there was a TSB or something to fact that discussed that issue (as related to me from dealer). Yesterday after towing, I went to switch transfer case back into gear and it when it gear, but receiving the traction control malfunctioned message (same as first time). Took into dealer today and they are saying that the transfer case motor itself is bad this time, not the actuator switch. They had to order the parts and will have it repaired on Monday afternoon. Unfortunately I'm out of warranty this time, so it's my dime. I have been towing my 2008 H3 Alpha for over two years and this is the only second issue I have ever had. Have about 20,000 miles on it being towed behind the motorhome. Overall I'm very satisfied with how the H3 performs as a toad.