PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Help - Problem with 4WD not unlocking

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Help - Problem with 4WD not unlocking

ORIGINAL: importkiller

Now that you took the gay chris angel and NIN stickers off I'm sure your hummer will thank you by giving you trouble free performance.
I think I was going through some pre-mid-life crisis or something

Old 01-10-2008, 08:13 AM

the first step is admitting you had a problem

Old 01-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

IK....I had a '91 GMC 4x4 extended cab. It had a shifter in the floor for the 2WD, 4WD Hi/Lo.... I bought that thing because most of the GM vehicles went to push button.
The floor shifter was a faux lever, when you moved the lever??? a friggin electric switch shifted the T case??[:'(] Sure nough, I flew in from a business trip and landed here in a snowy icy mess, went to shift it into 4WD and ...............nothin. Diagnosed with a bumb shift actuator and I was pissed, and duped by that set up.

On my 95 Jimmy, went thru two T case switches. [&o]

I agree, just let me mechanically shift it, no worries.

Whoops

Old 01-10-2008, 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

doesn't technology suck doc??! That is the main area the jeep has over the hummer....give me a damn shifter to put it into different 4x4 settings. I hate electric shifting crap.
Amen Brother! That's what I love about the old 79 CJ-5...There's beauty in simplicity!

Old 01-11-2008, 04:50 AM

i took my 06 in to the dealer because it would;nt go in or out of 4x4 untill it was almost stoped. the light on the dash would blink. dealer said and showed me the gm paper work that the h3 had been reprogramed to go in and out of 4x4 at about 50 mph and no higher something to do with performance.got the h3 back, tryed the changing at different speeds and thats how it works.dealer said that any hummer that comes in for service will be reprogramed the new way. so if you driveing down the road at 65mph and want to go in 4x4 ,you have to drop your speed down to 50mph to get into 4x4 and then get back up to 65 again. and you have to drop down to 50 to get it back out. sounds nuts ,but thats how my h3 works. maybe its a canadian thing

Old 01-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Hey roadking. I'm not sure if they gave you accurate information.

What is supposed to happen is you can drive with 4WD Locked up to 50 MPH, but after you hit 50, it's supposed to automatically disengage. You are right though, if you want to use it, you have to be 50 MPH or under, but if you drop to 50, turn it on, and speed up again, it's supposed to disengage again.

My problem apparently was that since the fluid was low, the parts seized up and it didn't automatically disengage when I got on the highway.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:36 AM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

Hey roadking. I'm not sure if they gave you accurate information.

What is supposed to happen is you can drive with 4WD Locked up to 50 MPH, but after you hit 50, it's supposed to automatically disengage. You are right though, if you want to use it, you have to be 50 MPH or under, but if you drop to 50, turn it on, and speed up again, it's supposed to disengage again.
Back to reading the owners manual I guess, My 4Hi lock is always illuminated. I thought that the H3's were full time 4x4.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Cheif: They are Full time 4WD, but when you lock the 4WD, it stops the ability for the differential to compensate for the variable wheel spin rpms on turns and so forth and locks all 4 wheels into the exact same rpms even on turns and so forth, hence my ruining my t-case (but not intentionally). The rear differential is still functional though unless you get a e-locker which also locks the rear wheels as well as locking the front and rear drivetrain.

Normally, if i'm not mistaken, the power transfer ratio is 60/40, rear/front using full time 4 wheel drive and the differential is working in the front and rear to allow for the variable wheel spin. Locking it turns it into 50/50 front/rear.

If you've been driving with it in locked mode this whole time, you will have major issues.

Don't be mistaken though. The left-most light is 4Hi, while the one to the right of it is 4Hi-Locked. The left-most 4-Hi light should be lit all the time, unless you press the locked button, which should only be in off-road and icey or snow conditions.

This is all I have learned from being on the forum. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Who the hell needs to lock up 4WD at over 50MPH?????? Anybody desert racing in C6?????

H3 is a full time AWD 40%front - 60%rear. That's what ya need for driving on a slippery road. Duh, 4WD loc is for when you need traction in off road(or similar)conditions.

[sm=icon_rtfm.gif] From the 06 H3 Manual guys:
4^
(Four-Wheel-High Lock): Use this mode when you need extra traction in most off-road situations such as sand, mud, snow or level, rocky trails.
Notice:
Operating your vehicle in Four-Wheel-Low Lock above 30 mph (48 km/h) for any extended period of time could cause damage to
the transfer case. Do not operate your vehicle in Four-Wheel-Low Lock above 30 mph (48 km/h) for extended periods.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:16 AM

Hold on justg a minute!!! Did hummerguy just give a technical answer to a mechanical question?!?!?!?! HOW IN THE HELL!!!!

me thinks someone has been

Quick Reply: Help - Problem with 4WD not unlocking