PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Help - Problem with 4WD not unlocking

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Help - Problem with 4WD not unlocking

The verdict is in. My transfer case basically exploded internally. They say it's because of a lack of fluid and that I have never changed it.

Now, call me crazy, but I'm certain transfer case fluid does not evaporate. It's like oil, correct? It's a lubricant, and the only way a lubricant can dissappear from a trans, diff or transfer case is if there is a leak, or it is manually drained. Am I right?

If this is the case, how can it be my fault the fluid was low and wasn't properly lubricated? It sounds to me that there was a leak, and perhaps the reason why my AWD part never worked properly and things always broke was because it was never filled from the factory to being with.

My front differential had a leak and was low when I first bought it. They were able to pull all that up.

Anyway, it's under warranty and they are nice enough to repair it, but I have a hard time believing this is my fault.

Can this stuff magically evaporate from the transfer case?

Old 01-08-2008, 11:16 AM

like any lubricant it can burn up and evaporate...not at a fast rate...but it can happen. if the level is low it can get foamy and won't lubricate chit.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

All the glue and paint fumes from your decals and striping may have set off a reaction with the T Case drain plug, when in combination with the magnets, cause it to loosen and, in conjunction with the night rider lights up front, lead to an increase in a syphoning effect to, in fact, cause it to mysteriously evaporate.

T case fluid is Dex III, looks like tranny fluid, and if it was leaking you would have saw it. I know you would have cuz you do check under there and spotted other problems. How much you want to bet a factory smorph got a cell phone call, went on brakewhen he was supposed to be topping off your T case and F'ed up?????

Old 01-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

That's exactly what I'm saying. If the differential fluid was low from the get-go, then I'm sure whoever filled the T-case did the same thing.

Can the fluid evaporate even when it's sealed? Where would it evaporate to?

Old 01-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

At least they are taking care of it for you. Great news on that. Hopefully the trip to the dealership goes your way also.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks. Don't mistake my comments for complaints. The three dealers I have dealt with all have great service people and always take care of me. They staff are excellent and actually treat the people who kinda sorta know their stuff like educated gearheads and don't get upset when you try to tell them what you think is wrong like some service dept.s do.

I'm very grateful they are repairing it. I consider myself very lucky to have service people near me like this considering some of the bad stories told here about their experiences.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

The Transfer Case has been completely rebuilt and everything is working again, ya know, until next week when my wheels fall off driving down the highway or sumthin'

Old 01-09-2008, 09:47 PM

Now that you took the gay chris angel and NIN stickers off I'm sure your hummer will thank you by giving you trouble free performance.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

PS. There was a TSB 3424 for: ELECTRONIC TRANSFER CASE UNABLE TO COMPLETE SHIFT?

I did not know aboutuntil just a few minutes ago serching for revisions on the steering shaft TSB. Does not talk about fluid missing though? More of a bad actuator problem to look out for.

Glad you are rebuilt and good to go.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:59 PM

doesn't technology suck doc??! That is the main area the jeep has over the hummer....give me a damn shifter to put it into different 4x4 settings. I hate electric shifting crap.

Quick Reply: Help - Problem with 4WD not unlocking