PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Help a Policeman with a Hummer Project?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Arrow Help a Policeman with a Hummer Project?

Hi all, obviously my first post here, thank you for letting me ask some questions as I start a new venture for the community I live in. I'm a police lieutenant in a small town in Southeastern Connecticut, called Waterford. I would normally never introduce myself as a cop, but if you continue to read on, you'll see why...

I'm interested in procuring a HUMVEE H1 for the Town through the US Military for use in emergency situations, and as a secondary command post for our Police, Fire, and EMS personnel. The Town has experienced some very bad flooding, hurricanes, and other weather related problems in the past years, and a rugged dependable vehicle that can get through nature's worst would be really beneficial. The vehicle will also be sued to tow a boat that the Town recently received through a government grant.

I'm going to reach out to the community at large and ask them donate to assist in this project - already I have an autobody shop, and a metal fabrication shop that have said they will donate to revitalize the vehicle, and a bunch of cops that will donate their time. As the project moves forward, I'd like to ask you all if you're willing to "donate" your thoughts and ideas - after all, I need to go to the source, right ?

If the mods could let me know what to do, I'd appreciate it - do I go with this thread to ask my questions, or start a new one in another area so as to not clutter up the forums? I'll be asking questions along the way, updating with pictures, and generally letting you all know how the vehicle's process is coming along. If you all would be willing to help, I'd be very thankful, as would our town.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:50 AM

Hello, and welcome to the forum.. Well the H1 is a super capable vehicle, and maybe you can pick one up at a government auction. Once you get one, we can make suggestions on how to say bullet proof it so to speak.. Let you know of any modifications that will make it even more tougher. But the military ones are usually already set up for that.. Good luck and will be keeping watch on the progress of your quest.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:10 AM
Arrow Thanks Pappibri - appreciate it.

Maybe I should be more clear - I have no doubt I'll be able to acquire an H1 for our Town, as the government has many of them available for state and local applications through what they call the DLA program - they want to get rid of the federal government military surplus by donating it to the state and locals.

I initially need to get ideas as to what type of H1 you all think I should be looking at - New England winters can get cold, so I think I'd like to look at a hard top model, not a soft top. Are there any other model particulars I should look at? I've seen some H1s that have the "pickup" style, and others with a slant back - so far, I'm interested in the slant back for safe storage, but am really open to suggestions.

One of our town mechanics was a Marine Corps mechanic, he worked on HUMVEEs and is very familiar with them. He suggested that we try to get a turbocharged model instead of a normally aspirated one - what year did they change over? Whatever Hummer I "claim" in the govt. system, he will be coming to look at with me to give it a good once over.

Thanks again for any interest in this thread, and please, let me know if I should move this.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Smile H1

The h1 does not have much room anyway you should look for a wagon the slant back looks cool but its less room. the turbo is a good idea it's a heavy truck
I have a 1998 turbo wagon if mi can help

Old 10-21-2012, 08:16 PM

Thanks Extreme1, most appreciated - where in CT? Anywhere close?

Old 10-22-2012, 06:17 AM

I agree that the wagon style will give you the most usable space.

This one is setup nice with a full brushguard, overhead lights and aggressive tires.

Name:  Hummer.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  28.8 KB

Last edited by Bunger; 10-22-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:27 AM
Default Hummer h1

Southington

Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 PM

Why not an H2 and modify it. It would be a lot cheaper I think and be just as capable in doing the job plus any mechanic can work on it

Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 PM

Say what? Why not an H2? Because they can get ahold of an H1, that's why!
Don't get me wrong, I love my deuce, but if you can do a project and have access to HMMWV's, mechanics and a town full of people willing to help---why would you do an H2?
The original HMMWV's are a perfect match for the emergency services and public relations!

Old 10-23-2012, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Extreme1
Southington
Hey, I'm from Southington too

Quick Reply: Help a Policeman with a Hummer Project?