PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

HELP PLZ: Battery Keeps Dying?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by kav315
Bought it 9/2012 from CarMax, so about 8-9 months now. I was more dissatisfied with CarMax not putting in a new battery since the car is an 08 and it had the original battery in it which they tend to last what 5 years? But they sold me a car with a battery that was about to go.

And as far as the big repair bill goes. That's what I purchased a 150k extended warranty with a $250 deductible when those BIG bills come.
Mate,why would the dealer know the battery is on its way out, and why would they replace it if it was working fine at the time you bought the car?? Batteries are consumables on cars and get replaced when required (when they stop workinh)my H3 is a 2007 model and still runs the original battery it rolled out of the factory with. So far works fine. Why would I replace it now?

However it will be replaced as soon as it stops starting the car first turn of the key. Will probably get an optima or similar.

Might even try for a dual battery set up once I fit a winch and four roof mounted driving lights!!!

Old 05-17-2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by sneakypigeons
I had the same problem with my battery. turns out it still had the original one in it. it lasted 7 years so i cant complian. I too went to autozone (only cuz they were the closest to me and i had to get one and install it on my way to work) i would rather have gotten a diehard or optima but i dont have a sears in my area and autozone didnt have an optima instock that would work for me. They sold me the only one they had it was like $157. I wouldnt have minded paying over $200 for a optima or diehard. I will probably use an optima for my second battery when i do that install.
I was surprised at how small the battery was for the h3. i was expecting much bigger and dreading having to lift a heavy *** battery up into the engine bay.
Optima doesn't show an actual direct fit battery for the h3. I have an 8025, that fits perfect, however a bit shorter than original, so I eliminated the oe strap. I also installed stinger terminals, so I had to cut a bit of the upper cover out for the terminals to fit perfect. I purchased the battery on amazon, 141.67, no tax, free shipping. Excellent battery and never a problem. I leave my doors open all the time when at job sites, key on, radio on. The interior lights go off after about 15 minutes, but the radio keeps playing, and when I am done, it starts up with no problem.

8025-160 25 RedTop; Battery; Group 25; Cold Crank Amps 720; Crank Amps 910; Reserve Capacity 90; Ampere Hour 44

Old 05-17-2013, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Aussie H3
Mate,why would the dealer know the battery is on its way out, and why would they replace it if it was working fine at the time you bought the car?? Batteries are consumables on cars and get replaced when required (when they stop workinh)my H3 is a 2007 model and still runs the original battery it rolled out of the factory with. So far works fine. Why would I replace it now?

However it will be replaced as soon as it stops starting the car first turn of the key. Will probably get an optima or similar.

Might even try for a dual battery set up once I fit a winch and four roof mounted driving lights!!!
Be aware that the Optima batteries of today are not the same as those of several years ago. They moved production a couple years back and the quality plummeted. There are many better options for less money: DieHard AGM, OReilly Super Start Extreme AGM (made by Deka).

Old 05-17-2013, 05:01 PM

thanks HUMMERZ i plan on doing a dual battery setup once i install my winch.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by sneakypigeons
thanks HUMMERZ i plan on doing a dual battery setup once i install my winch.
I recommend you get a high output alternator as well. Excessive amperage makes a really nice one. I'm running one in my h3 to power my stereo.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Infamous360
I recommend you get a high output alternator as well. Excessive amperage makes a really nice one. I'm running one in my h3 to power my stereo.
WOW, what amperage are you pulling on your stereo? My stock system at a decent volume may pull 10amps= without the alternator(not running), I can run the stereo for 4.4 hours.... 2 batteries rated @44ah+ each, would double that. The stock alternator should have no problem recharging the batteries, unless you are pulling a ton of amps, or your have the stereo on for a long period of time without running the rig?

Old 05-17-2013, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
WOW, what amperage are you pulling on your stereo? My stock system at a decent volume may pull 10amps= without the alternator(not running), I can run the stereo for 4.4 hours.... 2 batteries rated @44ah+ each, would double that. The stock alternator should have no problem recharging the batteries, unless you are pulling a ton of amps, or your have the stereo on for a long period of time without running the rig?
Haha... Ive got enough I have to have the truck running or I'll die quick.

If you know anything about audio... I do 155 average on music.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:38 PM

155 amps X 14v= appx 2000 watts.
tell us all about your stuff.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Xlr8n
Be aware that the Optima batteries of today are not the same as those of several years ago. They moved production a couple years back and the quality plummeted. There are many better options for less money: DieHard AGM, OReilly Super Start Extreme AGM (made by Deka).
Will have a look into that once I need one.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by happythree
155 amps X 14v= appx 2000 watts.
tell us all about your stuff.
155db not amps pulled...

I figure I'm pulling close to 2500amps. Then again I'm not sure how efficient these RF amps are.

I've got a stinger spp1500d under the hood... 15 XS power d3100s in the back... And only 1 250 amp alternator. I had a second alternator, but ever since the accident I haven't had a chance to get another bracket made.

Quick Reply: HELP PLZ: Battery Keeps Dying?