PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

HELP PLZ: Battery Keeps Dying?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by kav315
Took it to autozone and their little thing read bad battery. And their saying the cheapest battery they have for my model is a duralast and its $137 plus tax, ouch!
WOW how long have you owned a car for??

$137 would not even make me flinch, it would be a relief if something went wrong with a car and it's fixed for $137....wait till something goes wrong and you get a $2000-4000 repair bill

Old 05-14-2013, 12:56 AM

Yes, any 12 volt battery will work, it just won't work well, or the way it is supposed to to support your H3's systems. The right battery will allow your H3 to run using all electrical systems to their best abilities. It is important to get the battery specified for the vehicle you are putting it in. A battery may have the cca's you need, but it may not be in the grouping size that is required. If you get the wrong battery, the life of it will most likely be shorter, electrical currents may fluctuate causing pauses and surges. Radios, and other electronics can receive damage while using the wrong battery. Also possible damage to the alternator.

The battery was chosed for the H3 because of it's electrical needs, any battery that does not meet all of those needs is the wrong battery and can be slowly or quickly damaging things. Why try to save 30 40 50 bucks or even more to try and skimp when the possible damage that you may incur could be 10 fold what you saved buying that cheap wrong battery. Doesn't make sense to me. You have a high level, technologically advanced vehicle. Don't skimp. But what it recommends.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Aussie H3
WOW how long have you owned a car for??

$137 would not even make me flinch, it would be a relief if something went wrong with a car and it's fixed for $137....wait till something goes wrong and you get a $2000-4000 repair bill
Bought it 9/2012 from CarMax, so about 8-9 months now. I was more dissatisfied with CarMax not putting in a new battery since the car is an 08 and it had the original battery in it which they tend to last what 5 years? But they sold me a car with a battery that was about to go.

And as far as the big repair bill goes. That's what I purchased a 150k extended warranty with a $250 deductible when those BIG bills come.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:50 PM

once the car starts,the generator takes over, runs everything ,good for 100 amps+,the batt acts like a big capacitor to smooth out and filter noise and gen ripple.

the h3 is no big deal different than any other so don't let it go to your head.
you could probably start with a lawn tractor batt!

at 15 below in feb,then you need cranking amps.

Last edited by happythree; 05-14-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Default Lawn mower batt it is!!

Just for fun,and to prove a point,it don't take much to start a small good running h3, 3.7 motor.
heres my lawn tractor batt started my h3 just like a real batt! and the air and lights and radio worked full blast, off the gen of course.
I wouldn't use this regularly in cold weather but it does not take anything special to start a normal vehicle.

actually I always pick the biggest that will fit in the space available in any car I have and ignore the specified batt. the factory uses the smallest that will do a decent job. it only has to start the engine and filter noise.

Attached Thumbnails HELP PLZ: Battery Keeps Dying?-lawnmower-batt-copy-2-.jpg  
Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 AM

I had the same problem with my battery. turns out it still had the original one in it. it lasted 7 years so i cant complian. I too went to autozone (only cuz they were the closest to me and i had to get one and install it on my way to work) i would rather have gotten a diehard or optima but i dont have a sears in my area and autozone didnt have an optima instock that would work for me. They sold me the only one they had it was like $157. I wouldnt have minded paying over $200 for a optima or diehard. I will probably use an optima for my second battery when i do that install.
I was surprised at how small the battery was for the h3. i was expecting much bigger and dreading having to lift a heavy *** battery up into the engine bay.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Default diehard dies hard

many years ago I quit diehards. every one I had "died hard" in 24 to 20 months. they replaced them for a dollar a month used but I got tired of the merrygoround trips to sears and realized the planned obsolesance was their money maker.

optima is overkill and I hear don't last any longer than a regular batt

so my 275 cca starts fine! cost is about 29$

Old 05-15-2013, 10:18 AM

i've never had a die hard or optima, just going on what i heard and what alot of people seem to use. I always heard good things about a diehard but then again this isnt first hand info. i'll take that into consideration before i lay down a few hundred for a battery.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by happythree
...optima is overkill ...
Yep it is, but that's what I wanted x2.
I have the ability to jump start my self with the push of a button.

Name:  100_2894.jpg
Views: 2557
Size:  71.5 KB

Old 05-15-2013, 12:37 PM

I use an optima for mine, but I also use an electric winch. I'm also saving up to do the dual Optimas.

Quick Reply: HELP PLZ: Battery Keeps Dying?