PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Help with pcm

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Default Help with pcm

Hi,

After reading that I would have to re send my pcm to pcmforless every time my dealer flashes the pcm I have decided to look for a progrmaer I can buy sorta like superchips or bullydog.
Does anyone know of one that sells a programer for the H3? I would kinda like a hand held unit like most of the other companys sell that I could reprogram the vehicle myself when and if the dealer ever reflashes my pcm.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Default RE: Help with pcm

i don't know of anyone making a portable for the H3. i've had my truck (H2) in to the dealership a lot since i programmed it and they've never reset my programming.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:51 PM

Never had the dealer reflash the PCM. Not worried about it.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:57 AM

I would like a hand held programmer as well. I was sort of looking into the JET chip.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:41 AM

Well I figure I will probably an issue atleast once in my ownership ( because thats how my luck runs) and I would rather not have to go through sending the pcm out twice so........................... To be honest I would love to have pcm tune my pcm as reading here and other places I hear nothing but good and they seem to know what they are doing with the hummer set up but still I rather be able to never have to worry about it.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:21 AM

Jet produces a chip for the H3.

Just search Google or eBay, they are available in both Stage 1 and Stage 2.

I'm currently on the waiting list to donate my truck to Superchips so they can produce one, but there's no telling how long that will take.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

I had a jet chip in my old GMC, it actually worked well, but that was long prior to the current generation of PCMs used in the H3. However, IMO they are a like comparing a bandaid to surgery

They just make your PCM think the sensors are providing different information than actually exists, causing the PCM to react in a fashion to imrove some performance variables. After having the PCMforless tune, I would not even bother with a chip. The amount of data processed by the PCM is far beyond what a chip or performance module can do.

The circumstance where a desalership would have to do a reflash are limited, but anything is possible. I would just tell them they do not have my authorization to reflash it at anytime unless in writing by me. There is no alteration to the exterior of the PCM, and the dealer shmucks cannot tell it has been tuned by looking at it with their equipment. They might think your truck has some ***** if the take it for a test run though.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:14 PM

I don't believe you can use a Jet chip or any of the other replaceable-style chips of the past in the H3 PCM. It is a sealed unit very much like that in my vettes and other GM products and the processors are permanently mounted on the pc boards. The PCM is reprogrammed via the OBDII port and either a Tech II device or software such as EFILive or HP Tuners which also comes with a hardware interface. I have both these packages and they both are used to scan and tune the H3 PCM. The software is sophisticated with a steep learning curve and is, of course, somewhat expensive. The PCMforless package is actually quite reasonble when you consider the time andmoney you'd invest were you to go the route I did. It does allow me to read, change and save my PCMs programming but it does take a serious commitment to get there. I have already read and perused my H3s PCM in anticipation of doing some tuning.

Here's what a Tech II looks like - you're dealer will have a few.

Here's a shot of the PCM out of my vette - it's pretty much permanently sealed.

Here's one of the scan/tune packages I have (older version).

Old 03-26-2008, 07:04 AM

Jet has a chip that plugs into your pcm and then the plug plugs into it. I jsut decided wtf and got the pcmforless tune.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:35 PM

You go boy! Live on the wild side. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Hey Jackk,
How about some pics of your ride? I want to see what your wheels and tires look like.

Quick Reply: Help with pcm