PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

HELP! H2 started, then died....need info on cause

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 04:53 PM
Unhappy HELP! H2 started, then died....need info on cause

Hi, got a strange issue just started with my 05 H2. Noticed that my clock time was off, and I reset it. Was fine for a few days. Then noticed it was off again, thought how strange. Fixed it again. Then this morning, got in for work, started it, it ran for 2 second, then died. Completely, I swear, there were not even interior lights left on from the key in on position. Tried again. Started, died. Took a deep breath, third time, fired right up, kept running. All lights on, voltage gauge fine, no jumping of needle, just over 14 on the indicator. Ran fine. No misses, hesitations, nothing. No fading of lights, nothing to indicate a problem. Clock time off again. Had reset to noon.
Went to work. Ran great. Shut off. Waited a few, started right up. Came out at noon, started fine, but clock time off again. Wth. Fixed clock again. Fired up fine after work, drove home, watching gauges, and interior light. No issues. Stopped to get mail, and getting back in truck noticed the battery gauge needle suddenly jumping, down then back up to normal number, then back down, fluctuating. The battery is only a month old, replaced it when I noticed cranking was slower as it got really cold then. What could be the problem? Could it be alternator going out? Why would the clock time keep resetting? I am now hesitant to drive it anywhere, cause if this morning. Please help, advice is needed as to what to look for. It's been really wet here, and unseasonably warm, too much rain, but it is kept inside when home, only out while I'm at work. Please advise, appreciate all help!

Old 02-09-2017, 07:58 AM

Clock time is resetting because the battery voltage is probably too low. I would guess you have a loose battery cable. Check that first.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:42 AM

Plan on doing that too, did a quick check and they seem really tight. Didn't have time to tear into it yet. Driving hubby's truck till weekend. I still think could be alternator, especially since gauge fluctuated which to me seems to show the battery was not being charged right. Any other ideas?

Old 02-09-2017, 06:34 PM

Is there an aftermarket remote starter installed? Ignition switch could also be faulty.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:38 PM

Nope, no remote start at all. I just wonder cause it seemed to have started slowly and gotten worse, hence the start, then die problem. I will be checking the connections after tomorrow, just hope it's not too difficult to pin down once we start investigating...