PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

headlights dim when i hit brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:45 AM
Default RE: headlights dim when i hit brakes

So " Coreyc" what was the final outcome of your problem ?

Old 01-04-2008, 06:21 PM

I'm with korn. I just turned in my 05 Envoy in for the 08 H3 and when I would hit the brakes on the Envoy the lights would dim. It almost looked like I was flickering my lights. It didn't do it at the same time every time... only every once in a while. I have no idea what it was.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:20 AM

Does the H3 Do It???

Old 01-05-2008, 10:01 AM

ORIGINAL: TheGunnyRet

Does the H3 Do It???
Honestly I only drove it home on Monday and then out to dinner on New Years Day. I think it has like 100 miles on it so I don't have enough miles to give you a straight answer yet. I will keep my eye on it.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:41 PM

What does the miles have to do with it? I would have checked it when you picked up your H3.
Anyway, if it does it intermitently IT IS STILL A PROBLEM!

Old 01-05-2008, 02:28 PM

I really have not noticed it wheen i hit the brakes, but when i hit the hazard light buttonthe headlights & the interior lights dim [sm=wtf.gif]

Old 01-05-2008, 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: TheGunnyRet

What does the miles have to do with it? I would have checked it when you picked up your H3.
Anyway, if it does it intermitently IT IS STILL A PROBLEM!
I'm not sure what you mean by that. I have 100 miles on it and all of that was during the day. I simply stated I needed more time/milage to let someone know whether or not I have the problem.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:05 AM

ORIGINAL: hummer

I really have not noticed it wheen i hit the brakes, but when i hit the hazard light buttonthe headlights & the interior lights dim [sm=wtf.gif]

Does any of your other vehicles do that?

Old 01-06-2008, 06:57 AM

There's a TSB for this problem.......it's:

Old 01-06-2008, 11:49 AM

" name=forward>
Document ID# 1978376
2008 HUMMER H3

[hr]

[align=left]

Subject:
Low Voltage Display on IP Gauge, Lights Dim at Stop Lights, Battery Discharged, No Start, Slow Cranking, Dim Lights at Idle, Low Generator Output #02-06-03-008C - (05/30/2007)[/align]
[align=left]

Models:
1990-2008 Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)[/align][align=left]

2003-2008 HUMMER H2, H3[/align][align=left]

2005-2008 Saab 9-7X[/align]

[hr]

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2008 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-03-008B (Section06 -- Engine).
[hr]

Any vehicle may have a low voltage display (if equipped with gauges), lights that dim at stop lights, slow cranking, no start, low generator output at idle or dim lights at idle when electrical loads are heavy at idle or under slow driving or infrequent usage conditions. These characteristics may be more noticeable with customer added electrical accessories, or with a discharged battery. These are normal operating characteristics of a vehicle electrical system and no repairs should be attempted unless a proven fault has been diagnosed.
During normal driving conditions, when engine speed is above 1000RPM, the generator is designed to do two things:[align=left]

•
Supply the current necessary to operate the vehicle's originally equipped electrical devices (loads).[/align][align=left]

•
Recharge/ maintain the battery's state of charge.[/align]The following factors may affect generator and battery performance:[align=left]

•
Non-usage of the vehicle for extended periods of time. The vehicle's computers, clocks and the like will cause the battery state of charge to drop (For example; 30 days in a parking lot and the vehicle may not start because of a dead battery or a vehicle which is driven only a short distance once a week may end up with a discharged battery to the point where the vehicle may not start). This would be considered abnormal usage of the vehicle and the normally expected result for the vehicle battery, generator and electrical systems.[/align][align=left]

•
At idle, vehicle electrical loads may exceed the low speed current (amperage) output of the generator and when this happens the shortfall comes from the battery. This will result in a drop in the electrical system voltage as the battery delivers the additional electrical current to meet the demand. This is equivalent to the brown outs experienced by homes and businesses when the electrical demand is more than the supply. See Figure 1.[/align][align=left]

•
Extended periods of engine idling, with high electrical loads, may result in a discharged battery. Attempting to recharge a battery by letting the engine run at idle may not be beneficial unless all electrical loads are turned "OFF".[/align][align=left]

•
Increased internal generator temperatures from extended idling can also contribute to lower electrical system voltage. As the generator's internal temperature rises, the generator's output capability is reduced due to increased electrical resistance.[/align]The following are some typical examples of electrical loads:

System

Amperage Load

Rear Window defogger

Electric AIR Pump

Heated Seats

5Amps per seat

Headlamps (high)

Blower Motor (High)

Headlamps (low)

Quick Reply: headlights dim when i hit brakes