PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

headlights dim when i hit brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:00 AM
Default headlights dim when i hit brakes

Sometimes my headlights will dim a little bit when i hit my brakes they dont do it all the time. Is this something to be concerned with?Has this happened to anyone else here? Should i take it to the dealership?

Old 12-04-2007, 04:45 AM
Default RE: headlights dim when i hit brakes

Does it do it in neutral? Sounds like a warranty issue but I bet it won't do it when you take it in![:@]

Old 12-04-2007, 07:59 AM

When you say it doesn't do it all the time, could it only be like the fog lights are also on + the airconditioning or defrosters? If that's the case, it may just be normal because of the load on the system and drop in engine rpm. Takes it a second for the alt to increase output.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:25 PM

It shouldn't do that at anytime, you could have an evolving short (Corroded connecter, frayed wire, Brake Pedal relay hanging up, loose connector, Battery terminal post loose etc...) somewhere or the bad cell in your battery. Take to the dealer early so if it doesn't do it right away you have the rest of the day to keep trying in the Dealers Parking lot.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:48 PM

nolike it sometimes when i stop at a stop sign they will dim a little bit then go back to normal they dim for like a split second then back to normal.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:24 PM

its barely even noticeable

Old 12-04-2007, 05:32 PM

I don't think it's a problem, like I stated in the previous reply. That being said, if it is something like a bad cell in the battery or a weak altenator it will become more noticable. And it probably wouldn't hurt to take it to the dealer, just so there is record of the problem.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:37 AM

yeah i called the dealership today and im taking it in on saturday so it gets looked at they told me they thought it was the computer telling the alternator to give more power and its normal but they said it wouldnt hurt to have them take a look at it

Old 12-05-2007, 07:53 AM

Sounds like a low voltage problem. Could possibly be a battery crapping out or the alternator/generator not charging properly. Time to load test the battery and see where it goes from there.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:29 PM

whatever happened did the dealer do something about it because I have a similar problem when I turn my turn signals on.

Quick Reply: headlights dim when i hit brakes