PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

headlight improvement on H3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Default headlight improvement on H3?

We have a 2008 H3 and the headlights just s*ck. I was looking at them today and wondered if anyone else had trid just removing the silver plastic square piece held on in front of the actual bulb.
Questions
1 can it be done?
2 does it help?
3 if it helps - in what way?

Old 10-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Default RE: headlight improvement on H3?

they do suck right
just get some ebay hids

Old 10-03-2008, 07:03 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: BabyTank

We have a 2008 H3 and the headlights just s*ck. I was looking at them today and wondered if anyone else had trid just removing the silver plastic square piece held on in front of the actual bulb.
Questions
1 can it be done?
2 does it help?

This has been discussed ad nauseam
Here is some good reading for you, some of it by me
There are some definite improvements out there

https://www.hummerforums.com/searchp...h&timefilter=0

Old 10-20-2008, 02:33 AM

An h.i.d kit in the factory housing will make the light prism focus incorrect light patterns onto the road. Usually the effect on friends cars is like having your brights on. Not to mention you will have no high beams on 95% of the kits. Just one bulb with one brightness. Use silvania silverstar bulbs. The are the best halogen replacement. I think I got 15% more light output.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BabyTank
Questions
1 can it be done?
2 does it help?

strange that no one can answer this. I am facing the same issue. can the stupid silver reflector be removed from the headlight inside housing or not ? seems there is one torx screw to get to but can you ?

i've bought silverstar Ultra's for a good price, but when they bounce off 2 different things, there is not much change.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:31 AM
Banned

i often drive on a road that has a "tunnel"of trees. one nite i tested my off road lites,mounted in the lower grill. they lite up everything from the road to the tree tops. i noticed that my hi/lo beams seemed to go up to a line appx 20 degrees, (guess) above the road. it appears that something in the design prevents the headlites from going up into the sky,maybe to put all possible light on the road.
the piece you mention might be there for that reason. remove it and maybe get less light where u want it,,??

Old 10-25-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by mpukr9djsocr
strange that no one can answer this. I am facing the same issue. can the stupid silver reflector be removed from the headlight inside housing or not ? seems there is one torx screw to get to but can you ?

i've bought silverstar Ultra's for a good price, but when they bounce off 2 different things, there is not much change.
Yes you can remove the silver cap, yes it's only one torq screw per headlight. Now the bad news, the only way to remove the torq screw on mentioned cap is to remove the headlight and open the headlight assembly.
Removing the cap will do nothing, maybe make it worse. The purpose of the cap is to house the tip of the bulb and the light is pushed back into the reflector...

Old 01-14-2012, 06:12 AM

I'm using sylvanna silverstars, they're much better than the stock. Tho i'm not sure if I have them installed right or if its just the make. My low beams light up both lanes pretty evenly and the light is higher up, now when I switch to my highbeams, while brighter are more focused down into the road and light up the right side more.

Seems like it's reversed, I see more and further with my lows than my brights now. No complaints but I feel like i'm blinding people with my low beams.

Last edited by GuestWho; 01-14-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Banned

keeping the fogs on makes the big diff 4 me. i gave up on expensive short life brite whites.
could be me,,my age, but i see better with yello than silver/white,,jmo

Old 01-14-2012, 01:23 PM

I've often thought that it might be that little reflector that's f'ing up the beam on the drivers side. The headlights would be perfect if it wasn't for GM diverting the beam over to the passenger side. Too bad GM never put in a horizontal adjustment screw!

Personally I went with this 6000k kit and it makes a big difference. You just have to re-aim your headlights after install to point them down quite a bit further. It also retains Hi/Lo beam function. The beam spread is still the same as factory however is a lot brighter.

H4 Bi-Xenon HID Kit - Heavy Duty HID Kits

Quick Reply: headlight improvement on H3?