PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

header and steering rack bushing installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Default header and steering rack bushing installed

so I have had the parts for some time now but havnt had the time to put them in. I'll be honest, i didnt do them myself. I tried to tackle the steering rack bushing myself but ran outta time so i had to have my mechanic finish it up. its hard for me to find the time to do projects like this...owning a restaurant takes up alot of my time and then i have a wife and daughter that require the rest of my time.
the bushing was a bit of a bitch for me. the bottom bolt was easy once it brok free but the top is in a spot that only allows a half turn of the ratchet each time and theni tried to come at it from the top of the engine bay with an air rachet but every air ratchet i used didnt have enough nut to spin the bolt. it only succeded in slamming my thumb against the frame mutiple times..lol.
But any way my mechanic did the work and he usually does alot of the hard stuff on my h3. He said the header was a real pain. The bolt thats closet to the fire was was completly missing the head on it and then one ended up breaking about half way down and the other came out fine. Luckly he was able to drill them out with no problem and didnt need a heli-coil kit.
i'm having trouble uploading the photos right now, it's not letting me upload any. I will mess with it some more and post the pics ASAP. be patient

Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 AM

here is the pics of the project. i couldnt get any of the install of the header...sorry. i can take a pic of the old manifold if anybody is interested. I do have a pic of the new bushing that went it, i have to resize it first before i can upload it.

Attached Thumbnails header and steering rack bushing installed-header3_zpsc20dd43c.jpg   header and steering rack bushing installed-header2_zps708b8ed1.jpg   header and steering rack bushing installed-header_zpsbf39f288.jpg   header and steering rack bushing installed-oldbushing_zps60626804.jpg  
Old 06-18-2013, 09:26 AM

heres the new bushing that went in.
if you look at the pic of the old bushing you can see how the edge on it was ripped and the whole bushing had sliped out of place. you'll also notice that you can see the bottom bolt but the top one is almost hidden and very hard to reach.

Attached Thumbnails header and steering rack bushing installed-6b40b658-de0e-451f-ba38-ee2fef929262_zpsd43a4db6.jpg  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:23 PM

which header did you go with??

Old 06-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Old 06-18-2013, 09:30 PM
rsc

That's a nice price. I may have to do this.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:03 AM

there was an immediate difference in power with the header installed. acceleration has improved greatly. the biggest area of notice is when it shifts into second gear. it's not as slugish as before, it holds the power at that lower rpm and continues to accelerate nicely instead of having to wait till 3500 rpm to feel some power.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:28 PM

Nice. No check engine light? You running stock exhaust or after market?

Old 06-19-2013, 12:35 PM

no check engine light ..... still running the stock ehaust. probably gonna get a gibson ehaust when i do decide to upgrade.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:39 PM

Good to know. I might have to try this mod as well. My 35" tires and lift have sucked the life out of my H3.

Quick Reply: header and steering rack bushing installed