PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Have a K&N Filter? Read this.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Have a K&N Filter? Read this.

Well, I have been thinking about it, and since I'm going to be driving so much now (I think) I may go back on my words and try that new extended life oil. I think Mobile makes it. I have to look online. I want to see if it really holds up as long as it says it does. I really don't want to be changing my oil every 1 1/2 months like I'd probably have to.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:25 PM

ORIGINAL: H3_Hummer

Did the oil change to Royal Purple today. I will keep you informed if there is any improvement in mileage or performance.

To note on the few miles I put on my H3 after the change, I haven't noticed any difference in anything out of the ordinary. As mentioned in another thread on Royal Purple, my temp gauge was still at the half way mark when the engune reached operating temp and as someone else noted that this oil (RP) runs the temp gauge slightly cooler. The outside air temperature was 35 degrees. Next report will be if they is any gain in mileage.
I think this concept with oil associated coolant temp is a little misleading..The coolant temp is regulated by a fan and coolant thermostat...The amount of load and heat of the day will determine how much the thermosat opens or closes along with the thermo-clutch on the fan..But overall, the coolant temp should remain fairly constant in spite of the brand of oil...I can see if the oil was of a bad grade that actually causes undue friction , but I can't comprehend that sort of product on the market...So an oil with the same viscousity and API rating regardless of synthetics or petrol bases, should have no noticeable affect on coolant temps.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:33 PM

Dennis, my thoughts exactly!!! I never heard anything like that until I read a post as follows from the topic of oil used in an H3 from this site (from search)

posted by Zoo:

I talked with both friends that have been using it and the reps. Everyone has their own opinon just giving you info...... The people that have been using it swear by it. Most don't change there oil for 7000 miles that use RP. Before my engine heat constantly ran between 1/2 and 3/4 (H3). When I switched it runs at 1/2 and below. I thought it was bullcrap when I first heard it would reduce engine heat but it worked. If you go to there Web site you can see videos/reviews of the product. Also my engine smoothed out and seems to rev better. It's kind of hard to explain, but give it a try for one oil change. If you don't like it then at least you tried.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: H3_Hummer

HummerGuy, I don't know if you have heard about a Company called Amsoil? I use to be a dealer but stopped selling it due to not enough time to work at it. If you are worried about the oil from the K&N filter fouling up your MAF, you can buy an Amsoil replacement dry filter made to replace the K&N wet filter. I think there is an Amsoil dealer here on the site that may be able to help you if you are interested?

Well, I checked my K&N last night and its REALLY dirty. It only has like 15k on it. I'm surprised its so black. I have heard of Amsoil but didn't know much about them. I wish there was somewhere that compared the air flow of the K&N, Amsoil and AEM filters. I'm going to have to get a new filter soon, or clean the K&N, but I'd rather go with one of these newer dry ones.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:14 AM

Here is their website and you can read about them there and also email them to hear what they say about them.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaau.aspx

Old 11-10-2006, 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Sugardaddy

I just had my oil changed and I used Royal Purple. I didn't notice any difference in performance or MPG, but I just know that's it's better for my engine.
Well, went through my first tank of gas since the oil change to RP and I have the same to report as you, no changes in performance or MPG. The good thing to report is that other than being synthetic and better than fossil, I didn't get any worse mileage as a guy here did when using a K&N Oil Filter!

Old 11-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

I went to my old place and brought home my K&N filter recharging kit. I'm going to try to clean and spray the filter tonight and install it tomorrow. It's almost black. I'll take pics and post them before I clean it. Hopefully that will make things a little better, even though after PCM for less I'm getting better mileage, just like they said, about 2 to 3 MPG more. I've been getting a minimum of 30 miles more per tank. Definitely noticable.