PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Have a K&N Filter? Read this.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Default RE: Have a K&N Filter? Read this.

ORIGINAL: H3_Hummer

ORIGINAL: importkiller

The stock filter are oiled slightly. At least mine was, remember awhile back I had a pool of oil in my stock air box? Well after I put the K&N intake kit on I rubbed the stock filter with a paper towel and oil definately came off.

So mine wasn't the only H3 that had a pool of oil in the stock air box? It wasn't that much but it was still over oiled.

Nope, your not the only one. I mentioned this a few months back and guys thought I was nuts Actually if you look at the stock filter it has to be oiled, compare the yellowish color of our stock filter to the white color of a dry paper filter....ours turned yellow from oiling

Old 11-03-2006, 08:07 AM

I stored mine in the K&N filter box that the K&N filter came in and the box actually sucked up some oil from the stock filter. It kind of smells like compresser oil?

Old 11-03-2006, 08:36 AM

ORIGINAL: finskeeper

To add a little controversy to Oilgate... When I changed to my K&N CAI a few nights ago, I put a paper towel in some of the ridges of the stock filter and it came out dry. Then again, I may have used non-absorbant paper towels!
[/quote]

finskeeper, how many miles did you have on the stock filter? I had about 600 miles on mine before changing to the K&N. With that said, your stock filter may have had some oil absorbed by dirt? As you can see, mine is still in almost brand new condition. I also had a little oil in the bottom of the filter box and I am sure that it was from the filter as the oil leaked over the black plastic edge of the stock filter due to the way the fitler is on an angle in the air box. Then again, maybe it was over oiled when made?

Old 11-03-2006, 11:04 AM

I just had my oil changed and I used Royal Purple. I didn't notice any difference in performance or MPG, but I just know that's it's better for my engine.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Sugardaddy

I just had my oil changed and I used Royal Purple. I didn't notice any difference in performance or MPG, but I just know that's it's better for my engine.
I know this is a dumb question, but you have a H2 right?

Old 11-03-2006, 08:24 PM

On a side note reguarding Royal Purple oil, I found out that it contains Moly. Moly is a graphite like substance. I am changing my oil this weekend to RP (hopefully Saturday).

Old 11-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: H3_Hummer

On a side note reguarding Royal Purple oil, I found out that it contains Moly. Moly is a graphite like substance. I am changing my oil this weekend to RP (hopefully Saturday).
Is that good? Is RP the only oil with that substance? I know my motorcycle oil had it and it costs about $10 a quart.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:31 PM

HummerGuy, I don't know if you have heard about a Company called Amsoil? I use to be a dealer but stopped selling it due to not enough time to work at it. If you are worried about the oil from the K&N filter fouling up your MAF, you can buy an Amsoil replacement dry filter made to replace the K&N wet filter. I think there is an Amsoil dealer here on the site that may be able to help you if you are interested?

Old 11-03-2006, 08:40 PM

I have no idea about the Moly. I know it is used a lot in rifle shooting by coating bullets with Moly. Some like it, others don't! I have used it and find it to be OK. Now for using it in oil, on an Amsoil site, it states that it is close to Amsoils' synthetic but not as good as Amsoil. Now taking that into consideration that the are selling a product, feel that they are partial. In their gear oil comparision, they are rated equal.

I still plan on trying it and have been hearing only good things about it. If it helps the engine run cooler as I think ZOO said, it will be a help.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:42 AM

Did the oil change to Royal Purple today. I will keep you informed if there is any improvement in mileage or performance.

To note on the few miles I put on my H3 after the change, I haven't noticed any difference in anything out of the ordinary. As mentioned in another thread on Royal Purple, my temp gauge was still at the half way mark when the engine reached operating temp and as someone else noted that this oil (RP) runs the temp gauge slightly cooler. The outside air temperature was 35 degrees. Next report will be if they is any gain in mileage.

Quick Reply: Have a K&N Filter? Read this.