PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Have a K&N Filter? Read this.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Have a K&N Filter? Read this.

ORIGINAL: H3_Hummer

Here is a pic of my stock paper oiled filter that was removed from my H3.

It is oiled and if you run your fingers over the filter they become coated with a light oil. This oil was pooled in the bottom of my air box when I was removing it to install the K&N Filter. Note: when I said similar, I was refering to an oiled element over a dry element.
The STOCK air filter had oil on it? I don't remember mine having that, but I could be wrong. That's interesting.

There was a guy on here (maybe you) that said his mileage went down after his oil change, and that he installed a K&N oil filter. There was a theory floating around here that the K&N filter may be more restrictive in filtering and therefore making the oil flow less active. You should let us know if you notice that after you change your oil.

So, does that mean the stock air filter is oiled?

Old 10-30-2006, 09:35 PM

HummerGuy, that wasn't me who said that after changing his oil the mileage went down. I only have 2500 miles on my H3. I don't think a K&N oil filter is any more restrictive than any other as say Hastings, Frame, Amsoil, etc. If that was the case, then the bypass feature would let the oil just by pass the filtration in the filter design. If the proper amount of oil isn't getting to the vital parts of the engine it would result in premature engine wear more than less gas mileage. Damage to the engine would show very early if that happened (not enough oil flow).

I am rethinking my earlier position and am going to buy a CAI (K&N) along with a Borla exhaust and will be purchasing the PCMforless right around the same time. This way I can get everything tuned right around the same time frame. It will be sometime next Spring though as the weather here in PA is too cold for any work outside of a garage. It will give me more time to save for these parts also.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:52 AM

I just installed my K&N CAI and I want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Does the H3 have a fuel pressure regulator hose? I'll be the first to admit that I didn't know what I was looking for.

PS- Test drove it and everything seems fine! [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 11-01-2006, 01:26 AM

No..The H3 doesn't have the little tube connection thingy for the Fuel Pressure Reg..I think the Colorado engines did ...Did you screw in that little pipe plug into the small hole on the intake tube?

What don't you get?

Old 11-01-2006, 01:43 AM

I did put in the plug. I guess I did get it right. Thanks Dennis.

Should be getting my PCM back tomorrow. I'm wearing out the screw on my negative battery terminal.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:56 AM

Yeah..I wanna hear all the results and your Impressions when you get your PCM back in...It should be impressive from what I've been reading..

Old 11-01-2006, 09:33 PM

The stock filter are oiled slightly. At least mine was, remember awhile back I had a pool of oil in my stock air box? Well after I put the K&N intake kit on I rubbed the stock filter with a paper towel and oil definately came off.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:48 PM

HUH?..I would have never guessed..I never took my stock box apart to look at the filter when I put my K&N CAI in..From the sounds of it the stock filter is just as much at risk of fouling up the MAF if not more..

Old 11-02-2006, 08:19 AM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

The stock filter are oiled slightly. At least mine was, remember awhile back I had a pool of oil in my stock air box? Well after I put the K&N intake kit on I rubbed the stock filter with a paper towel and oil definately came off.

So mine wasn't the only H3 that had a pool of oil in the stock air box? It wasn't that much but it was still over oiled.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: H3_Hummer

ORIGINAL: importkiller

So mine wasn't the only H3 that had a pool of oil in the stock air box? It wasn't that much but it was still over oiled.
To add a little controversy to Oilgate... When I changed to my K&N CAI a few nights ago, I put a paper towel in some of the ridges of the stock filter and it came out dry. Then again, I may have used non-absorbant paper towels!

Quick Reply: Have a K&N Filter? Read this.