PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Have a K&N Filter? Read this.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Have a K&N Filter? Read this.

I have the kit. I used it many times. I do exactly what it says, but not yet on this new one. After I move maybe I'll try it.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:25 PM

I just installed a K&N air filter on my H3. On a side note about oiling, my original Factory air filter had a lot of excessive oil dripping into the air compartment when I removed it to install my K&N. I was thinking when I installed my new filter that if I had known that it was similar to a K&N, I wouldn't have spent the $40.00 on it but do notice the slight sucking sound I didn't have with the original. That means that it is taking in a little more air than the factory set-up.

I really don't think it is a major issue unless you are having problems show up.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:28 PM

Could you post a picture of this factory filter you speak of here?...It is suppose to be a dry paper filter as OE.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:14 AM

It is possible it was over-oiled at the factory. This has been an issue for Corvette owners too and their MAF's. I took my K&N out of the Corvette because I read it did not clean the intake air as well as paper filters. Just looking though the K&N and you can see a lot of open spaces . Sure off road racers love it but then again they rebuild their engines frequently. I do believe that K&N filters filter very well when they are dirty and the oiled dirt aids in filtering and blocking out some of the space you see in the filter but what about damage before it starts to clean better? For 1 or 2hp I am not willing to take a chance on the H3 engine or the LS6.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Dennis

I just took my MAF out of my K&N CAI tube and it's as clean as the day it was made ..Not even a slightest bit of film on it anywhere..I did go a head and douche' it down with residue free electronics cleaner anyway since I had it out..the inside of the air tube was dry and film free of any oil or dust or soot..It's been on my H3 for over 7500 miles now.
Thanks for looking at that for me. Now that it's cleaned, it's running even smoother then it did before, but only a bit. To answer your other questions you asked; The oil was changed about 1000 miles ago, and even though it's supposed to have 5w-30 in it, the receipt said 10w-30, so I'm hoping that's not what they put in there. I plan on changing the oil in a couple of weeks as soon as I get moved in. I'm going to put in that 5w-30 Royal Purple in the engine. I'll probably clean the filter also which I can't do now effectively. For now everything is fine. If I have to clean the MAF every so often, it's not a big deal, but it shouldn't be getting dirty regardless. I know there are other high-flow air filters out there that are dry. I may just switch to one of those and be the sucker for yet another experiment ;-)

Old 10-30-2006, 12:52 PM

Call me ignorant, but what is AFE? Is that an acronym for one of the other HP air filter companies?
I apologize. Wrong acronym. It's AEM, and here's the link. Pretty straightforward replacement, once you measusre your K&N.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/sale...s/part/DryFlow

Old 10-30-2006, 02:27 PM

Cool..Without me having to dig into it..Which one of the AEM replaces the K&N filter on the CAI kit we have on the H3?

And do they clean easy?

Old 10-30-2006, 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Cool..Without me having to dig into it..Which one of the AEM replaces the K&N filter on the CAI kit we have on the H3?

And do they clean easy?
I don't know, cuz I don't have a K&N kit. You will have to measure your filter and match it to the chart in the link. As far as cleaning, here is a quote from that site: (by the way, I am not in any way associated with either company. Just sharing some info.)

The DRYFLOW Synthetic filter is cleanable AND retains the same great efficiency after cleaning. The DRY media will not blow through after cleaning like many oiled elements. AEM's media is so durable that it can withstand almost unlimited cleanings without degrading filtration efficiency, and it's easy to clean! The DRYFLOW synthetic media is hydrophobic (resists water absorption), so there is less drying time, and since you never have to oil it, AEM's DRYFLOW filter technology reduces cleaning time by approximately 90%. Because there is no oiling, the DRYFLOW Synthetic filter maintains virtually the same performance in efficiency and flow throughout its life.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:09 PM

Yeah..I read that too..thought maybe you had first hand experience with them..The guys at HPF.com said to measure the K&N filter and see if it matches any of the AEM brands listed, just like you said to do...Which is what I'll do..Cuz I'm interested in getting one of these.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:18 PM

Here is a pic of my stock paper oiled filter that was removed from my H3.

It is oiled and if you run your fingers over the filter they become coated with a light oil. This oil was pooled in the bottom of my air box when I was removing it to install the K&N Filter. Note: when I said similar, I was refering to an oiled element over a dry element.

Here is a close-up.

I also just bought a case of Royal Purple 5W-30 and a few K&N oil filters. I plan on changing my oil next week.

Quick Reply: Have a K&N Filter? Read this.