PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Have a K&N Filter? Read this.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default Have a K&N Filter? Read this.

I removed my MAF sensor today to clean it on my H3, and with only 22K miles on it, there is some kind of black film on the resistors. I don't know if that is normal or not. I don't think it is, although maybe for the K&N filter it is. I have a out of box K&N filter that has maybe 15k miles on it. I haven't re-oiled yet because it really isn't all that dirty, so I know it's not from me over-oiling it. It's not alot though, but enough for me to want to clean it off. I just wanted to see if anybody else noticed this if you removed the MAF sensor, or if the buildup is normal for any air filter. I have had K&N filters on mostly all of my cars in the last 5 years so I don't know if using normal filters still has this effect.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Default RE: Have a K&N Filter? Read this.

I removed mine when i installed the whole kit it was clean.
I did have just the K&N filter in the factory box and when i put it on new it had a lot of oil on it .The new one was a lot less oil.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:13 PM

There has been a lot of discussion about this on another (non-Hummer) forum I subscribe to. The bottom line is, most have removed the K&N because the oil migrates and collects on the MAF, making it inaccurate, and screwing up the air/fuel mixture. Simply replacing the K&N element with one from AFE, which does not use oil, seems to be the ticket.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:15 PM

would it have anything to do with the tuning.?

Old 10-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: chukstr

There has been a lot of discussion about this on another (non-Hummer) forum I subscribe to. The bottom line is, most have removed the K&N because the oil migrates and collects on the MAF, making it inaccurate, and screwing up the air/fuel mixture. Simply replacing the K&N element with one from AFE, which does not use oil, seems to be the ticket.
Call me ignorant, but what is AFE? Is that an acronym for one of the other HP air filter companies? I would like to switch if this is going to keep happening. It almost killed my Rodeo when I had the problem years ago. It had major buildup on it, to the point where it would start to stall and act crazy. cleaning it worked. On the H3, I just cleaned it VERY gently with a q-tip and some 70% alcohol. It's crystal clean now, and I didn't even bend a resistor

Mark, I don't think it has to do with the tune. I noticed it before. I took the sensor out and checked it before I got the tune, but I was in a hurry so I didn't clean it. I just did about 20 minutes ago and we'll see what affect, if any, it has.

If you could give me a link to the AFE filter you are suggesting I'd like to take a look at it. Thanks!

Old 10-29-2006, 06:23 PM

I just took my MAF out of my K&N CAI tube and it's as clean as the day it was made ..Not even a slightest bit of film on it anywhere..I did go a head and douche' it down with residue free electronics cleaner anyway since I had it out..the inside of the air tube was dry and film free of any oil or dust or soot..It's been on my H3 for over 7500 miles now.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:34 PM

I have a K&N kit on the Mustang for the last 4 years no problems

Old 10-29-2006, 06:47 PM

Just pulled the MAF out of the JAG..it has a K&N also..Clean as a whistle and so is the intake tube, after 25,000 miles

Old 10-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Figures. Had to be me. There as no film anywhere other then 2 of the 3 resistors. Maybe it needs to be cleaned/re-oiled. It's been in there for a little over 15k miles. I thought you didn't have to re-oil those for 50k miles or so.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:00 PM

Michael!!!! ..Read the instructions in the cleaning kit...You can get it a Pepboys..I thinks off the top of my head, it's called a recharger kit..I clean mine every 12,000 miles, regardless.

Quick Reply: Have a K&N Filter? Read this.