PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Has anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

This is just an awesome thread in more than one aspect.
It covers something most have never seen which is using that dead space IFO the tire. There was some drama, but everyone is in a more harmonious frame of mind and are now friends again.

@ Jeff: Excellent job man. Good idea, even better followthrough. I like how those are rectangular which goes with the signal while the factory fogs & headlights are both round which go with each other. You're making me want to look into using that spot now but I may be overdoing it at that point as I already have 2 sets of aftermarket lights in the grill guard already.
Also like the TIR3's in the grill

Edit: As far as I can tell he isn't using a gasket at all on the H2... well he sort of made his own. Reading through the posts he said he fabricated a piece of Lexan for the lense and used black silicone to hold it in place. I'm thinking he taped off the Lexan except for the borders, put some black silicone on the borders, then just smoothed it out with a razor or something similar and blended it with the bumper. Also in that area of the bumper, the H2 isn't hollow like the H3 is. I think that's why it may look a little more factory. All he did was drill a 1" hole for that strobe tube and cover that space up. Not sure what dimensions the edges of the lense on your light is, but if you can fit those gaskets Broken Halo linked to above, that should work out pretty nicely. If that doesn't work, I'm sure you can get away with some black permatex like the H2 guy did.

Last edited by JCA1981; 08-01-2010 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Saw Jeff's question after I posted. Did a little research so I can take a stab at it.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:01 AM

What kind of lights are those? I want a pair now. Great job.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:31 AM

@broken halo,i checked out the link you sent me, and yea, i think that's exactly what i'm looking for. only question is... which 1 should i get? check out that link and let me know which, item 1-10?

@jca1981, thanks man. you stated he most likely used black silicone, permatex. how exactly did he form and cut that into a trim peice? i've messed with silicone before and boy it seems messy. i figured it would stick to everything.

@2wheelmonster, believe it or not man, they are from Advance Auto Parts. part #NV-100Z. they were only $20, but they were the only light i could find that seem to fit that area with little modification. what i did was took the lens out of the housing, and made a few dimensional cuts to fit into the bumper slots. i had to get rid of the bracket, and most of the housing on the front of the light, and just fabricated a new bracket with 2 L brackets. once i finish it with some trim, it'll look even nicer

Old 08-01-2010, 08:51 AM

You can read the different descriptions of the various material makeups, and their qualities. Then, I would say, you could immediately eliminate anything that is not black in color. From there, it would be completely up to you, as to what item meets your requirements dimensionally and aesthetically. We're going to need more pics when you're finished!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:59 AM

Thats looks really good. Looks almost factory. Can't tell the differents from far. I really like it. I think you may have started a new trend with those lights. I want to do it to mine now also.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:24 PM

yeah dude, looks really good.

The black silicone is a good idea. Get a tube of it with a good caulk gun and shoot some around it if you feel confident. Try a few test beads on some cardboard first.

Id love to see a shot of those powered on at night. Did you adjust them to shine a certain way? o

Old 08-01-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tram
Are you wanting to run with headlights, fog lights and an aux light all going at once?

If you do, it's illegal.. You are only allowed 4 lights facing forward.. Not telling you not to do it, just letting you know 2 sets of fogs is illegal if they are all on at once..

Hmm so if I get the set of lower lights and the upper lights for the H3...will it be considered illegal?

Old 08-01-2010, 05:04 PM

Those look great, guess I have a new project this week, gotta love the hummer projects.Thanks for the post!!!

Old 08-01-2010, 05:30 PM

thanks for the reply I am going to try it

Old 08-01-2010, 06:33 PM

I thought that space led to the intake?

Quick Reply: Has anyone done this?