PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hard time installing Silverstar headlights??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Default Hard time installing Silverstar headlights??

I got a set of SilverStar high performance lights to replace the OEM lights but when I tried putting them in I couldn't. The light wouldn't go into the housing far enough. I gave up and put the OEM lights back in and didn't have a problem. What was I doing wrong?

Old 12-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Default RE: Hard time installing Silverstar headlights??

I ran into the same problem, took me a few minutes to realize the problem.

If you look at the silverstar bulbs they have a silver rubber seal that seals it tight when you lock it in place. The stocks ones have a red seal and they stuck in the light housing when i removed the stock bulbs which was causing me to not be able to lock the silverstar bulbs into place. Try checking to see if the stock rubber seals are still stuck onto the light housing when you remove the stock bulbs.

Hope that helps.

Nick

Old 12-27-2008, 06:39 PM

Make sure you wear latex gloves and do not touch the bulb with your bare hands!

Old 12-27-2008, 06:43 PM

The red seal was still stuck to the housing! I thought it was supposed to be there. I'll give it another try.

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

The factroy stock rubber seal/rings get squished and often stuck onto the light housing. New replacement bulbs have a nice fresh "full figured" rubber ring and take a little bit of pressing the new bulb into its location before they will twist and lock. Definitely make sure the stock factory seal is not still stuck on the housing as you cannot get the light bulb to mount properly with two seals in the way.

Good observation Niznac, same thing happened to me too a while back. I just figured it was a fluke?

Old 12-28-2008, 12:39 PM

Thats really funny, same thing happened to me as well, was driving me nuts, then I felt like a moron after I realized the issue! If you really wanna light up the road I would suggest putting #9005 bulbs in the fog light housing. I only use them when I'm on a back country road or visibility is terrible because it is obnoxiously bright, haven't had any issues with the wires frying either, been running them for about 2 months now and they're great. Got the philips xtreme vision in the headlights and philips vision plus bulbs in the fogs, very nice lights have heard they have a better life expectancy than silverstars also. They were tough to find but i'm very pleased with them, then again i'm not a big fan of the ultra white bulbs so to each his own.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:17 PM

I tried pulling off the old gasket this afternoon and the new lights went in without a problem. I took it out for a ride on some darker roads tonights and ... the Silverstar "High Performance" lightsstink! A little whiterbut I won't say better by any means and cetraintly not brighter. I don't think the light is as good as OEM, especiallyat the corners where having a little light in a turn would be a little nice... the road was hidded in the shadows and I almost missed a turn and got to do a little wheeling on the curb. Don't see any sense in spending $44 on nothing so I think AutoZone will be getting these back.

I'll look into the Phillips or the lights Import Killer was selling that I saw in a few posts. For the lower fog / driving lights I'm thinking of putting an HID conversion in those as they shouldn't be as technically illegal and glare producing as doing the headlights...

Thanks for all the help guys!