PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Halo Ring HID Kit . . . ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 01:11 AM
Default Halo Ring HID Kit . . . ?

Anyone seen these? Looks like the Audi headlight. Considering an alternative to the $600+ kits. Scared of fires with some of these systems, though.

Opinions?

On ebay: http://budurl.com/hidkit

Site: http://www.aacstyle.com

You got to cook them in the oven? WTF?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:37 AM

Did I read this correctly ?
These are CCFL halo rings lights you add to "your" existing headlights ?

Old 07-25-2009, 10:56 AM

Looks like a nice kit. I'd use a lot of spring clamps for the reseal though, safer than vise grips on plastic for the unexperienced. Nothing unusual here, people have been taking apart headlamp assemblies for years for painting and or HID conversions.

I'd hate to have my wife find me putting headlamps in the oven, best to wait until she's out on a very long shopping trip! LOL

Old 07-25-2009, 11:18 AM

wfturner - You read correctly. Think you change out to their bulbs, then add this halo ring. I mean, I think the "look" cool. Not sure about reliability.

NJTEX - All the reason to send her on a shopping trip! Probably one of the only times I'd want her to actually go shopping.

Think I'm going to pass on these. I like reviewed products by people I trust. Last thing I need is an engine fire due to some janky HID system. Just don't have the money for the STARR. Guess I need to start saving. Or go the route that others have gone . . . just replace the bulbs. See a lot of forum members have had good luck with that option.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by hollywould
wfturner - You read correctly. Think you change out to their bulbs, then add this halo ring. I mean, I think the "look" cool. Not sure about reliability.

NJTEX - All the reason to send her on a shopping trip! Probably one of the only times I'd want her to actually go shopping.

Think I'm going to pass on these. I like reviewed products by people I trust. Last thing I need is an engine fire due to some janky HID system. Just don't have the money for the STARR. Guess I need to start saving. Or go the route that others have gone . . . just replace the bulbs. See a lot of forum members have had good luck with that option.
I must admit they do look pretty good, similar to the BMW angel eye headlights.
I guess I'm just a little concerned that the halo rings and your halogen bulbs would create considerable heat in the factory housing. Halogens hate excessive heat and it will shorten their life.
I have the STARR HID system and enjoy it very much. I first went the aftermarket halogen bulb route and found nothing really put out lots of light. And we all know how lousy the factory bulbs are.
Now that you have these Halo's installed and your wife has her oven back, please take some pictures for us.

Last edited by wfturner; 07-25-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:38 AM

I actually passes on these. Feared much of the same things wfturner mentioned. I understand the STARR setup is the route to go. Just can't come off the $800-900 right now. Was looking for something a bit more cost effective for the time being. All I really want is the super white color coming off the lens. I want no blue tint whatsoever. Well, maybe a VERY light tint of blue. Seens some bulbs that might do the trick, but don't want to go around blinding anyone, either.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by hollywould
I actually passes on these. Feared much of the same things wfturner mentioned. I understand the STARR setup is the route to go. Just can't come off the $800-900 right now. Was looking for something a bit more cost effective for the time being. All I really want is the super white color coming off the lens. I want no blue tint whatsoever. Well, maybe a VERY light tint of blue. Seens some bulbs that might do the trick, but don't want to go around blinding anyone, either.
I added a set of KC high wattage halogen long range lamps on my brush guard that swich on with my highbeams. They work great and the wife loves the light output! We live in NJ, a heavy duty salt usage State. The lamps are holding up well, only a little bit of rust on the KC mounting hardware after 3 years. Not bad for a lower end product.

We also run SilverStars, they provide a noticable improvement. The only problem is that they burn out every year.