PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3's - Are they easy to steal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:37 PM
RMD
Default H3's - Are they easy to steal?

I have been driving a Ford Superduty and they are high theft targets in Houston, as well as being very easy to break into. Just bought my first H3 and wondering if these vehicles are stolen often and how hard is it to steal one?I am thinking of having LoJack installed. All feedback is appreciated especially from major metropolitan areas.

Thanks!
Rob

Old 01-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Default RE: H3's - Are they easy to steal?

sorry but i dont know much abouthummer theft in your area but a call to city hall or the police dept. could help. also, if you have onstar inyour hummer you may not ned lojack. plus lojack could mess with your car (especially with it being a newer one)some have caused random problems like the doors locking/unlocking at random times, tings like that and it could be hard for dealers to fix because lojackcan be secretive about where t is etc... heard it from my uncle who works for ford. but If you feel confident with lojack or have used it before than it could be a good idea. just do a little research.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:08 PM

I think in these times, thieves are so high tech, that if they really want it they'll get it. If they really know what they are doing they probably look for easy targets. Seeing the onstar on the rear view mirror is a big deturrent i bet. But then again, it's not like i live in Detroit (capital of car thefts)

Old 01-04-2008, 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: RMD

I have been driving a Ford Superduty and they are high theft targets in Houston, as well as being very easy to break into. Just bought my first H3 and wondering if these vehicles are stolen often and how hard is it to steal one? I am thinking of having LoJack installed. All feedback is appreciated especially from major metropolitan areas.

Thanks!
Rob
As long as you don't put "bling-bling" rims to attract them, you're fine.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:43 PM

I looked it up:

http://www.statefarm.com/learning/be..._cartheft1.aspNational not even on the top 10 list

http://www.clutchcitydaily.com/2006/...rs-in-houston/Not in the top 10 list for Houston either

http://www.houstontx.gov/police/nr/2...nr103007-2.htmHouston PD report; not on there either

Old 01-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Great job rhill20. I live on the West coast and have not seen/heard of Hummers being stolen often. Haven't done any research on it like you did.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:41 PM

gotta love google

Old 01-04-2008, 07:47 PM

Nice rhill, did you see anything on Dallas/Ft.Worth by any chance?

Old 01-04-2008, 07:50 PM
RMD

Thanks Rhill20,

I need to learn how to look all that stuff up like you did!

I think I am gonna have the LoJack installed just in case, and it will be purchased and installed by the Hummer dealer where I bought the H3. So ifn it causes any problems, it is a one-stop solution. (The Hummer and the LoJack Dealer all rolled into one.) I have heard good things about LoJack, and this will be my first one. I have heard that OnStar is a joke and a lot of the time you get a total idiot on the other end of the connection. Don't know this for a fact. But if LoJack is operated by the police, surely it has to be of some value. I have also heard that if the thief puts the vehicle in a closed building where the GPS antenna cannot see the sky, the OnStar will not know where the car is located. But LoJack on the other hand, was tracking the car from where it was moved to where it is now, and works off of radio waves as well as GPS so it can talk to the police scanner through warehouse walls. LoJack activates when the car is moved without owner permission, whether it is started, pushed, towed, or grabbed by helicopter. On the other hand, OnStar has to be called once the owner becomes aware that the vehicle is gone. Once OnStar looks for the car, if it is parked outside, they will locate it, but if it is covered in a garage, they will never find it. If it is stolen while you are away on a flight or a cruise, you will not be aware of the theft until you return days later.

Mostly I was wondering how easy it is to enter the vehicle when locked, and how tough it is to defeat the factory "security system" if that is what you call it. I know my Ford SuperDuty is so easy to get in it is laughable. One screwdriver and less than 5 seconds and they are in the truck.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:01 PM

I have lojack on my wifes H3, never needed it but it is there. I just figured more insurance and I hadit installed when we boughtit so I didn't really notice the $$ involved. Not enough to make a real difference in the payments.

Quick Reply: H3's - Are they easy to steal?