PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3Alpha "Where Does Air Come Into Engine"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Default H3Alpha "Where Does Air Come Into Engine"?

I have an h3 Alpha. Does anyone know where the outside air is drawn into the engine. I talked to the Hummer service Mgr about this and we really can't figure this out. It looks like it may come from inside right fender to the artificial filter box on the right side above the hood, for it has a perforated inside lining. ..Bondo

Old 07-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Super simple. You and your service manager are thinking too hard. All the H3s draw it from the same place by design.

The air filter box inlet snorkle goes through the inner fender and draws in air from the space between the inner fender rail (that is the metal part that is over and on the right side of the wheelhous assembly) with its reinforcement piece and the plastic fender liner held in place a bunch of black plastic pop in retainers. The fake air boxes at the windshield are for looks.

The space between the inner fender rail and plastic liner is not air tight by any means and uses no seal. So air comes in between the cracks at the fender liner and outer fender, under/at the bottom of the fender liner, behind the turn signal light bucket, and the back of the fender near the windshield, wherever there is a gap... yada yada. When in motion (like over 15 MPH) most comes from under the front of the fender liner and through/around the turn signal light.

The GMT 355s (colorado/canyons) and all the full sized GM trucks post 1995 (except H2) all draw from the same place and have air boxes at the windshield like the H3s, that is why I say the air boxes are fake. Can/does some air make its way in from there, most likely does, but there being no direct connection between the inlet snorkel and the air box, it would be coincidence rather than intended.

Brand new fender liner, to replace the one blown out in CB Photo's night time chipmonk trail run.
Name:  DSC02159.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  66.7 KB

H3 with busted fender liner removed.
Name:  DSC02163.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  120.8 KB

Pic looking up inside the wheel well at the inner fender rail and reinforcement with an Air Doc air filter box inlet snorkel in place of the oem snorkel. Name:  DSC02167.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  88.6 KB
Not a great pic, but you get the idea.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:13 PM

Wow....I never expected to get this much great information. (with pictures yet)
Thanks so much for the thorough explanation. You know your stuff...What's your automotive background?. I can't wait to tell ser mgr. !!!!..John

Old 07-09-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bondo John
Wow....I never expected to get this much great information. (with pictures yet)
Thanks so much for the thorough explanation. You know your stuff...What's your automotive background?. I can't wait to tell ser mgr. !!!!..John
You just got a lesson from...you guessed it....Doc himself! (remember your post questioning the Air Doc?)

Old 07-09-2010, 10:49 PM

nice pics

Old 07-10-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
You just got a lesson from...you guessed it....Doc himself! (remember your post questioning the Air Doc?)
Yes..got an informative reply about Air Docs...John