PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

h3 weird sound from front

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 03:33 AM

Maybe the point that was missed that Tainter brought up, they ALL sit on the bump stops/dampeners. Mine sits squarely on them I do not have any popping sound. You're right grease is not the solution BUT the bumpstops aren't the problem. And don't think for a minute that a cert Hummer dealer won't dick you around, but if there is another one close I would check it out.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer
Maybe the point that was missed that Tainter brought up, they ALL sit on the bump stops/dampeners. Mine sits squarely on them I do not have any popping sound. You're right grease is not the solution BUT the bumpstops aren't the problem. And don't think for a minute that a cert Hummer dealer won't dick you around, but if there is another one close I would check it out.

Thanks that was my point, GREASE is not the fix!!!! and what ever they might be called if fine,does anyone have an idea what it might be ????? it happens during breaking around 40mph and slower and turning to the left?? Thanks guys

Old 06-08-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by engbulldog
Thanks for the info but it still doesnt answer my question/comment, so GM's fix to the poppin' sound is to slap some grease on the bump stop!?
The H3 has never been off-road ,only 40k on it ,this is the wife's car so I guess it will go back to the dealer and they can put more grease on it and in a few months I'll take it back once the grease is wore/washed off and I'll claim "lemon law " since grease is NOT a fix---- regardless what you say ----I build 1500-2500 HD's/LD's and we at the plant DO NOT PUT GREASE ON THE FRAME OR CONTROL ARMS!!!!!! to help fix a rubbing problem .... note I'm not trying to be a jerk but really I paid good cash for this ride and the best fix is GREASE come on ...the comments are not directed towards you just trying to make a point
Hey I wasn't trying to be a jerk either. The "smart butt" was just me quoting your previous post. Just explaining the bumpstop/progressive dampener thing.

As far as a "pop" sound the BS/PDs won't make that noise. Maybe a ball joint. Jack up the offending side and with the steering wheel locked try to move the tire/wheel. If there is play either up/down or side to side it's a ball joint. You may also want to check the obvious lug nuts, half shaft boot cut and leaking or see if the shock on that side is leaking any fluid. I have had a bad shock, half shaft and ball joint and they all made a "poping" noise. Different "popping" noises. Can't diagnose something we can't hear.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Hey I wasn't trying to be a jerk either. The "smart butt" was just me quoting your previous post. Just explaining the bumpstop/progressive dampener thing.

As far as a "pop" sound the BS/PDs won't make that noise. Maybe a ball joint. Jack up the offending side and with the steering wheel locked try to move the tire/wheel. If there is play either up/down or side to side it's a ball joint. You may also want to check the obvious lug nuts, half shaft boot cut and leaking or see if the shock on that side is leaking any fluid. I have had a bad shock, half shaft and ball joint and they all made a "poping" noise. Different "popping" noises. Can't diagnose something we can't hear.

Hey thanks for the info , I'll mess with it this weekend! I know its not the wheel bearing,and the lugs are tight so I'll check the ball joints!!!

Old 06-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Default popping sound

not sure if this will help, my 06 had a bad popping noise due to the plastic fork mode melting in the transfer case. It's not a recall, and I'm not sure if the 09's were made different...but it started as a popping noise then progressed to the whole binding bit. With 40k miles...sounds close to when I had the problem. Just a thought...

Old 06-12-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hummee!
not sure if this will help, my 06 had a bad popping noise due to the plastic fork mode melting in the transfer case. It's not a recall, and I'm not sure if the 09's were made different...but it started as a popping noise then progressed to the whole binding bit. With 40k miles...sounds close to when I had the problem. Just a thought...
Hummee, there are no plastic shift forks in the 09s. Pretty much an 06 and very early 07 issue.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:37 PM

Please dont tell me this is another issue with 06? I have to look foward to changing out a "plastic fork mode" in my transfer case???

Old 06-15-2011, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by HawaiianH3
Please dont tell me this is another issue with 06? I have to look foward to changing out a "plastic fork mode" in my transfer case???
Use the "SEARCH" function up top. You may aslo want to contact a dealer and have him run your VIN to see if the plastic transfercse shift fork was replaced already.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by HawaiianH3
sorry my friend! cost me $350...dealer split the cost! all good now! but terribly embarrasing when i had a temporary tag...trying to pull into parking spaces!! love my hummer more than me!

Pomaikaʻi! Maikaʻi Pomaikaʻi!

forgive me if thats wrong my friend!