PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 vs Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by psych0
H3 length 187.5", GC length 186.7"
H3 width 74.6", GC width 73.3"
H3 wheelbase 111.9", GC wheelbase 109.9"
H3 turning circle 37 ft, GC turning circle 36.7 ft
H3 weight 6001 lbs, GC weight 5900 lbs
H3 HP 239, GC HP 210
H3 FP 241, GC FP 235
Combine all this with the aerodynamics of the GC compared to the big boxy H3 and
the H3 can't catch the GC... or get through some of the trails the GC can... believe me I know since I drive both.
You really think a few tenths of an inch in most of those areas makes a huge difference? Negligable.

As far as those numbers, I'm not gonna sit here and look them up and confirm them, but I do know the weight is WAY off. H3's weigh in in the 4700-5000lb range; NOT 6000+lbs.

As far as offroading, as far as I'm concerned the Wrangler takes the cake over a GC; with that being said, nearly EVERY comparison I've seen online comparing the new Wrangler and H3, the H3 wins either hands down or it's a close margin.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:16 PM

I wouldnt cut short the ability of the new Grand Cherokee but i dont see where the H3 and the GC should be compared side by side. The H3 is meant for off roading, the GC can be taken off road. I think the GC is a very capable veh. if needed to off road it but dont think jeep designed it for Trail running.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:12 PM

the whole hummer vs. jeep thing. ha!

...http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/humm...ee-swap-33842/

Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Banned

lol that is pretty funny. Good find.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

I agree that the minor differences in specs between the two don't mean squat performance wise. I have had Cherokees also. Didn't have them at the same time as my H3 but don't think turning radius or trails able to be run are different.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:23 AM

I agree the specs aren't much different. As a matter of fact when I originally made my first response I didn't even know the exact specs and went totally by feel... having driven both and been in the woods with both.

As far as the Jeep Wrangler is concerned... I also have a 2009 Wrangler 2dr and the 'smallness' of the Wrangler (short wheelbase, good ground clearance etc...) makes it much more capable then either the H3 or Grand Cherokee off-road where I drive... which is old logging trails and mining roads where ATV's mostly travel. I actually prefer the 1997-2006 Wranglers because they are even smaller than the newer ones...

I would actually prefer a Hummer H1 with it's off-road ability, but the H1 would be useless where I go and never fit on the tight trails.

It's all about where you want to take it and what you want to do with it!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:38 AM

HEY GUYS!! I didn't mean to start a H3/GC battle when I posted this thread. We kinda got off track as to my original intent. My question was: Does anybody know if the H3 has a watertight drive train?! If somebody can answer that, I'd appreciate.....then we can resume the H3 vs. GC, as there has been some interesting discussion going on.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by psych0
I also have a 2009 Wrangler 2dr and the 'smallness' of the Wrangler (short wheelbase, good ground clearance etc...) makes it much more capable then either the H3 or Grand Cherokee off-road where I drive... which is old logging trails and mining roads!
Funny you mention that.. the H3 actually has more ground clearance than the new Wranglers; and the new wranglers have more ground clearance that previous generation Wranglers.

Like I said pretty much every online review of the H3 vs Wrangler has put the H3 on top of the Wrangler.

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
HEY GUYS!! I didn't mean to start a H3/GC battle when I posted this thread. We kinda got off track as to my original intent. My question was: Does anybody know if the H3 has a watertight drive train?! If somebody can answer that, I'd appreciate.....then we can resume the H3 vs. GC, as there has been some interesting discussion going on.
Considering the H3 is designed to go thru 3ft of water stock, I'd assume they are pretty damn water tight

Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by 85_305
Ya the H3 is "rated" for 24" of water, but people go thru 36", yep 3ft, of water with zero issues.

The door seals are fine and dandy if you plan on driving to the middle of your local lake and fishing from your Jeep; other than that sealed doors are bad. If your going thru really deep water, the truck normally only fills if your going slow or stop. Otherwise, you want the truck to fill up with water to keep it from washing away with the current.
While I've seen trucks go in 3 feet of water, I wouldn't say it had "Zero Issues" - unless you don't count soggy carpet and pad an issue, which, if not addressed quickly will turn into a stinky mess that costs a bundle to fix. I would agree on some level that seepage is OK (i.e. in an H1 with drain plugs) but I also wouldn't tout the H3's ability to take on water as a benefit.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
Well - not completely - but I'm not sure the definition is the same...I mean, does the GC not have a vented differential like the H3 does? You have to be pretty damn deep or created some good wake for it to affect that. I think the term "watertight drive train" is deceiving. Is it watertight up to 20 inches on the Jeep? that's what I would suspect - and the same with the H3 up to 24 inches.

Quick Reply: H3 vs Grand Cherokee