PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 Traction Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:10 PM

Was it a factory service manual? If not, hope it had the following information in regard to fluid fill of the t/case.

The following applies to factory installed BW transfer cases, if your transfer case was replaced as a service item it might not apply.

All 2006 H3s were shipped with a transfer case that had the fill plug installed too low by BW for the angles used on the H3. So, very early H3s were shipped with the fluid too low. The dealers were notiifed by a bulletin to pull the H3s into the shop and add extra fluid (250 ml - 8.45 oz to be exact) via the speed sensor hole at the top of the case. The dealer was also required to add a piece of paper to the owner's manual stating that if the t/case fluid was changed to make sure to add the extra fluid.

(On a side note, my dealer did not know this on my 06. After taking delivery I asked if they had added the extra fluid, and the service manager looked at me like a deer caught in the headlamps. I told him of the bulletin, he looked it up, had the tech add the extra fluid. So, for those out there in Hummerland, I sure hope the dealer added the extra fluid.)

Now, if the dealer did not add the extra fluid, the plastic hi-lo shift fork could be affected, and the symptoms given in the original message could appear.

Later 06 models were shipped with the correct amout of fluid added by the manufacturing facility. These t/cases had a green sticker applied to them to notify the dealer it had the extra fluid.

For ALL 06 t/cases, the fluid fill procedures after a drain is the same:

Apply pipe sealant to the drain plug, and install. Torque to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Add fluid to the fill plug until fluid starts to come out.

Apply pipe sealant to the fill plug and install. Torque to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Remove the speed sensor wiring connector, then remove the speed sensor.

Add 250 ml (8.45 oz) of fluid through the speed sensor hole.

Install speed sensor. Torque to 17 N·m (13 lb ft).

Install speed sensor wiring connector.

And naturally, clean off the drain and fill plugs and check for possible leaks.

Early 07 vehicles (vehicle identification number prior to 56TDN13E778100102) you need to follow the same fill procedure as stated for 06 vehicles. (All 07 t/cases were shipped from the plant with the correct fluid fill so no problem there.)

All 07 vehicles manufactured after the above noted VIN, had the fill plug hole raised to accomodate for the extra required fluid.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:50 PM

WOW Doug, that's great info for the 06 - 07 H3 owners out there!

Thanks for posting this!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:53 PM

Im having the exact same issue in my 06 H3 and of course its out of warranty, I called Hummer direct to get some kind of assistance after reading all of these posts and they said they've never heard of this problem!!!! But obviously they knew because they got smart in 07 with the aluminum shift fork...how frusturating. i had to have it towed this morning because the grounds were dry and in order for Hummer to "possibly" fix it I have to take it to the only authorized dealer in my state. Where was that bulletin about thr fluid level?

Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 PM

The original bulletin issued to the deales to check early 06 t/case fluid was a dealer only bulletin and was advisory in nature. Therefore, chances are it was deleted from the electronic bulletin system at the end of the 06 model year.

The information on the fluid fill is in the GM service manual.

For 2006 vehicles, the procedure will state to remove the VSS sensor for the additional fluid. In the 2007 procedures, the additional steps for vehicles built before the VIN number I gave will have the steps for VSS removal/install and the amount of additional fluid.

So, that is in the GM service publications that GM develops.

My suggestion would be:
1. Have the dealer pull your service history. IF the selling dealer or any other dealer, added fluid to the t/case, it will be noted. GM paid the dealer to do this check and add of additional fluid, so a dealer will claim it under warranty to be paid. If claimed under warranty, it automatically becomes part of the service history in the GM WINS system.

2. If the procedure was not performed, get on the Hummer 800 b!tch line and b!tch and get a GM field service engineer involved. Explain NICELY, that the procedures was not performed as directed by GM, and this was probably the reason the fork destroyed itself.

Best case is they replace it for free. Other possible scenarios are they pay for the labor, you pay for the part or vice versa.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:56 PM

Sounds good!! Thank you soo much!! I have to wait to hear back from Hummer tomorrow afternoon after the dealer is done inspecting it and then from there they said it could take up to 2-3 days to get an answer from Corporate on whether or not they will cover it or cover a portion of it. I just can't believe this part would go like that, I mean, first off why would they use ANY plastic parts on a Hummer that is supossed to be a sport utility off-roading vehicle, and then on-top of it I have never even taken it off-roading to cause any extra stress to this part. Well I guess the best I can do now is keep my fingers crossed until I hear back and have the B!tch lines number handy just incase!! haha

Old 01-06-2011, 03:07 PM

Local Chevy dealer verified T-case as the problem. Appears as though they need to follow a certain trouble shooting tree to verify these things.

T-case is pretty much thrashed, oil was disolored and very low- maybe an early 07 vehicle. When they pulled the case and opened it up it was a no brainer, worn plastic forks and a beat chain

So it'll get all the upgrade parts and should be back sometime next week. Sounds like it will be covered under the powertrain warranty.

If I can get the full list of parts I'll post when I get the truck back.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:22 PM

Good to hear the dealer is repairing for free. Make sure they read the procedures after rebuild to make sure they put in the correct amount of fluid.