PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 Torsion Bars Rusted Out

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Angry H3 Torsion Bars Rusted Out

I went to my local GM dealer to get a front alignment after leveling my H3. During the oil change part of my service they brought me back to the shop area and explained they would not be able to perform the alignment on my H3 due to one of the torsion bars was rusted out and the other was start to.

They had me look under the truck that ws still on the lift and pointed to two areas where the paint was bubbled up pretty bad. I was quoted a estimate to replace both of the bars about $750 plus the $69 for the alignment it would need after they replaced them.

So I got home and started oicking at the paint bubbles fearing the worst......I took a small machine hammer and started tapping on all of the loose areas of paint and the metal seemed very soild.

From there I took a air grinder with a wire brush wheel and started to clean the areas to see how bad it was and it seems that is was surface rust that affected the top level of the torsion bar. The areas seems to have surfaces pits and thats all.

I am looking for advice if anybody else has ran into rusting of these bars and if mine really need to be replaced.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:36 PM

That is a load of crap. TI would be talking to the GM of the dealer and then take it somewhere else and have the alignment done.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Your dealer is FOS! Torsion Bars are solid spring steel, bubbling paint doesn't mean squat. Torsion Bars may require replacement if they loose their spring rate because of heavy load over a LONG period of time, like a snow plow with years of carting around the plow, where the front of the vehicle sags beyond where adjusting the T Bar bolts will not put the front of the vehicle in proper position.

Personally, I would contact GM to inform them of the tactic used by whatever dealer you went to regarding their attempt to drum up unjustified work. After that, go to a reputable dealer and follow up with GM.

I wouldn't have any dealership around me do anything unless it was warranty work. Many better places are more price competitive for basic service.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by talusfan
That is a load of crap. TI would be talking to the GM of the dealer and then take it somewhere else and have the alignment done.
Yeah...... what he said.

Beat me to it.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Default Thanks

I knew you would agree Doc but wanted to make sure. Thanks for all of the great information on this site!!

Old 04-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Banned
Default not bs

scratch a line on a piece of glass,thats where it breaks.
they should replace them free since its a future hazard.
the book mentions handling them with care and not scratching them for a reason.
a constantly stressed part will weaken at rough spots.
why did they coat them in the first place instead of letting them rust like all the rest!.
the coating is truly not good enuf,i saw blisters on my 07 b4 read about this in the manual
they twist every second of motion. odds are the rough ones will break first.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:50 AM

WOW, just read this one! I can't believe they would even try to pull that one. I can see the other "dealer tricks". But a "rusted out" torsion bar? It's solid fricking steel!

Not to offend you at all, are you female by chance and they thought they could pull one over on you?

Old 04-19-2012, 07:49 AM

I had a dress shirt and tie on so I think they though I was maybe educated and have never worked on a car or even been under one.

I was insulted to say the least!!

Old 04-19-2012, 08:43 AM

Does it look like mine?

It will be going in for some warranty repairs soon and I am going to ask to have it replaced. My extened warranty is with an aftermarket company so GM can bill the full amount. I'm sure they will oblige. I agree that it is solid steel so it may not have any effect but I don't think it falls into the normal wear and tear category either. It may not break ever but I hate knowing it's there.

Edit: I ahve another spot much worse that is farther down but the pic won't load for some reason.

Attached Thumbnails H3 Torsion Bars Rusted Out-imag0248.jpg  
Old 04-19-2012, 10:08 AM

You were smart enough to question them, but how many unsuspecting car owners do they scam every week.

Quick Reply: H3 Torsion Bars Rusted Out