PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 with a small growling noise at 1800 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Default H3 with a small growling noise at 1800 rpm

I have a 2006 H3 with the automatic trans that has around 40k miles. It startedmaking a small growling noise from somewhere in the the front when driving slow in any gear. It does not seem to make the noise in neutral but only when driving. Therefore, Im thinking its not fan belt or power steering related.
No matter if in 1st 2nd 3rd or drive at about 1800 -1900 rpms it makes a steady growling and below or above these rpms, the noise goes away. Also, there is a intermittent 2 second boooooop sound from under the driver side.
Any ideas?
The H3 runs just fine otherwise

Thanks

Cheyenne

cheyenne95129@yahoo.com

Old 11-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Default RE: H3 with a small growling noise at 1800 rpm

Does this noise occur only when moving? If so try checking simple things first. Example brake pads, calipers, and disks. Let me know more specifics on the noise and when it is heard.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the response.
Only makes noise when in gear at any speed but at 1850 rpm or so.
Same noise if turning or going straight. Makes the loudest sounds first thing in morning.
When I rev engine in park or neutral no sound.
When on freeway at 1800 rpm in top gear noise is still there.
Sound gets quieter as things heat up but still detectable.
Thought it was a loose fan belt at first and put belt dressing on it but it didnt help, besides it doesnt make the sound in neutral or park, just when in gear and at 1800 - 1900 rpm. I am thinking it may be a power steering pump bearing or something like that but the noise started abrubtly out of nowhere and never changed. besides if it were a ps bearing it should show when revving it in neutral or park right?
Any thoughts?

Thanks

Cheyenne

cheyenne95129@yahoo.com

Old 11-23-2008, 08:18 PM

More on the sound. It sounds more like a hum and buzzing sound- I looked for any plastic or sheetmetal loose didnt see anything or feel anything loose. Some sort of harmonic vibration possible but it is hard to find as it only happens while moving. I cannot get it to do it when stopped. Looked at the brakes, nothing unusual seen. I believe The sound is from the front right of the 2006 H3 it goes away or reduces its intensity after driving a few miles and things get warm. Checked the AT level, PS level and looked inside the hood.

Any ideas?

Thanks

CMN

Old 11-24-2008, 09:40 AM

I have the same problem with my 2003 H2. Mine started after an offroad trip. I dented up the exhaust a little bit. I bent the underbody protection back out off of the exhaust system but still have the same as you. I inspected/replaced fluids inmy diffs and transfer case and thats not the problem. Any help or ideas would be great. My gut tells me transmission. I will find out next week when i pull the pan and change fluids etc....

Old 11-24-2008, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the reply- good luck with the tranny hope this isnt the issue as that might be expensive. I had a bad tranny bearing in a Honda but the noise is way different. The Honda made a constant whine at all speeds not at just one rpm. This noise is like something is vibrating or rubbing and only at 1850 rpm either accelerating or slowing. All gears, havnt tried reverse. Drive 1st 2nd 3rd in 4 wheel low and high. Just like clockwork at 1850 rpm. Glad it is harder to hear once the truck warms up. I dont see any performance difference, just makes that damm sound.
Last time I had a unexplainable sound on another car,I changed the tires and it went away. Im due for a tire rotation soon, I hope this takes care of it, I dont know why tires would make the difference.
I have worked on many cars with many different sounds, this sound is a real pain to find.
This noise came out of the blue. I did not go off road prior to this noise. Please keep me updated as even though I have a H3 and you have a H2, it would be worth knowing what the final solution for you was.

Thanks

CMN

Old 12-01-2008, 09:09 AM

Problem solved!

I was under my truck on Turkey Day. Working on some other stuff.

I notice the skid plateunder the Transfer case was in contact with the case. I got a crowbar out and bent it back off the skid plate to give it about 3/4 inch of clearance. Problem was solved.

I know you said you have not had it off road. But if you have skid plates I would crawl under your truck and take a look at them.

Maybe you have a family member who drove it offroad and did not tell you??? lol

Eric

Old 12-01-2008, 09:57 AM
JAM

I have the exact same sound as Cheyenne, on a 2007 H3. It is a metallic kinda sound, and as the original poster said, even more noticeable when cold... I might have to check the skidplates even if i never really offroaded it...
It comes, indeed, from the front right side of the truck, you can hear it even lounder with the passenger window down.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Some 3s had the exhaust manifold heat shield come in contact with the manifold/truck and make a buzzing sound? Check that too when snooping around. The cure is to bend it a bit to make sure it is not in contact with anything creating the vibration sound..... and that shield noisedoes change with engine heat. Good luck.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:32 AM

I took both bash plates off to do aoil change. Drove without the plates and the noise is still there. I will try the exaust shield next week

Thanks Again

Cheyenne

Quick Reply: H3 with a small growling noise at 1800 rpm