PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 shopping - what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Default H3 shopping - what to look for?

I'm looking to possibly purchase an H3 and getting rid of my Jeep WJ. What are some thing to look for and stay away from? I've heard of some early '06's having engine problems. True? Thanks guys...

Old 09-01-2010, 07:29 PM

I would also avoid an 06. Even if the cyl. head has been repaired, its 5 models years old already and no telling where its been and who flogged it. if you can swing an 07 but not sure, save and get an 08 or 09. plenty of 08's will be turned in off of leases. try and get an Adventure pkg. and pref. an 09 with the cast iron front differential (just my opinion)

Old 09-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Banned
Default my 07,,,4 sale

see below ad and drop 1000

it truly is in perfect cond,i do not climb rocks! or off road xcept my yard! i xercize all modes in grass

it has been flawless since i bought it last july, im going new

Old 09-01-2010, 11:33 PM

Just purchase an 07 Lux rig last week. There are a lot of things to consider when buying an H3

1. What package are you looking for ?
a. Luxury package -- leather, sunroof, Monsoon audio system, Navigation etc.
b. Standard H3 -- Cloth seats, Wheels, cross over to lux with amenities
c. Adventure package -- can be harder than you think to find ? Has 4:1 transfer case, std 285/75R/16 tires, Rear locking diff. etc. etc. etc. -- do you off-road or really need this ?
d. Some H3's with luxury packages vary with options --- be aware of this !

There is a real probability that "Adventure Package" H3's may have hard use and beat more due to the very nature of the package use.

2. Miles on used H3 ---- does this matter to you ? search gets harder if you limit the total mileage you will accept before buying

3. Motor ? --- I purposely stuck to the 07's and up due to the larger 3.7 I5 motor. If I was driving the "Non V8" hummer, I wanted the newer motor.

4. Price ? --- How much are you willing to pay ?

Bottom line ---- It's harder than you think to find "ALL" the qualities that your looking for in a H3. Make a mental or written list of the most important things your looking for and work down your list.

I chose an 07 H3 luxury (black) with only 24,000 miles (just off lease) with all the bells (moonroof, leather, heated seats, Navigation) and even though I would have never have bought a Black car in the past, this one had everything I wanted in a low mileage H3 for the price ($ 21,600). I even like the black color now (go figure)

Old 09-02-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Slash x

I chose an 07 H3 luxury (black) with only 24,000 miles (just off lease) with all the bells (moonroof, leather, heated seats, Navigation) and even though I would have never have bought a Black car in the past, this one had everything I wanted in a low mileage H3 for the price ($ 21,600). I even like the black color now (go figure)
Thanks for the info. That sounds like a HECK of a deal!! Prices have actually gone UP here lately!! An '07 H3 Base, with 45k miles is running about $25k at the dealers. I'm test driving this weekend and hoping my Jeep sells.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Boonking
Thanks for the info. That sounds like a HECK of a deal!! Prices have actually gone UP here lately!! An '07 H3 Base, with 45k miles is running about $25k at the dealers. I'm test driving this weekend and hoping my Jeep sells.

07's with 25K miles are listed at $22-23K around here. You should be able to talk them down a bit.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:41 PM

I wanna add to this, I'm also looking at buying an H3. I'm having a hard time figuring out what I'm looking at sometimes. The dealer puts Adventure package but then no locker, or it says Luxury but has the locker. Are they marked somewhere so that I know exactly which I'm getting? Like codes printed somewhere. And do some models like the luxury have options like a locker but without the Adventure package?

Old 09-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jutgin
I wanna add to this, I'm also looking at buying an H3. I'm having a hard time figuring out what I'm looking at sometimes. The dealer puts Adventure package but then no locker, or it says Luxury but has the locker. Are they marked somewhere so that I know exactly which I'm getting? Like codes printed somewhere. And do some models like the luxury have options like a locker but without the Adventure package?

Just look at them; thats the easiest way..

If it has buttons to lock the lockers, it IS an adventure package.

If it has leather, it IS the luxury package.

If it has chrome, it IS the chrome package.

If it has a v8, it IS the alpha package.

Any one of these combo's can be had. Just because its a luxury h3, doesn't mean it cant also have the alpha package.

TO the original poster, try trading in your jeep to the dealership with the HUMMER?

There really isn't a whole lot to look for. I'd be weary of an '06; too many head issues. Other than that, there isn't really a weakspot on these that you need to keep an eye open for. Just check out the vehicle overall, and make a command decision. Most 06 or 07+ HUMMER's still have factory warranty, so most issues were prolly fixed as they came along

Old 09-02-2010, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by 85_305
Just look at them; thats the easiest way..

If it has buttons to lock the lockers, it IS an adventure package.

If it has leather, it IS the luxury package.

If it has chrome, it IS the chrome package.

If it has a v8, it IS the alpha package.

Any one of these combo's can be had. Just because its a luxury h3, doesn't mean it cant also have the alpha package.

TO the original poster, try trading in your jeep to the dealership with the HUMMER?

There really isn't a whole lot to look for. I'd be weary of an '06; too many head issues. Other than that, there isn't really a weakspot on these that you need to keep an eye open for. Just check out the vehicle overall, and make a command decision. Most 06 or 07+ HUMMER's still have factory warranty, so most issues were prolly fixed as they came along
Boonking, PLEASE don't listen to this man. His information is confusing and incorrect.

2006 H3
Base Engine 3.5L I5 (some had head issues I have the vin #s if you need them)
Option Packages:
Base-Cloth/standard radio/Black accents
Adventure-Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents
Lux-Leather/Chrome
Option Package Combinations:
Base w/Adventure Lux w/Adventure

2007 H3
Base Engine 3.7L I5
Option Packages:
Adventure-Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents/4:1 transfer case/Rear Locker
Lux-Leather/Chrome
Base w/Adventure Lux w/Adventure

2008 H3
Base Engine 3.7L I5 Optional Engine: 5.3L V8 (Alpha only)
Option Packages:
Adventure-Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents/4:1 transfer case/Rear Locker
Lux-Leather/Chrome
H3X-Leather/Chrome/18" wheels/Monsoon
Alpha-Leather/Chrome/Monsoon radio/Cast Iron Front Diff
OffRoad(only on Alpha) -4:1 transfer case/Rear Locker
Base w/Adventure Lux w/Adventure Alpha/OffRoad

2009 H3 & H3T
Base Engine 3.7L I5 Optional Engine: 5.3L V8 (Alpha only)
Option Packages:
Adventure- Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents/4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker//Cast Iron Front Diff
Lux-Leather/Chrome
H3X-Leather/Chrome/18" wheels/Monsoon
Alpha-Cloth (Leather optional)/ Black Accents (Chrome optional)/Monsoon radio/Cast Iron Front Diff
OffRoad(only on Alpha)-4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker

2010 H3 & H3T
Base Engine 3.7L I5 Optional Engine: 5.3L V8 Flex Fuel (Alpha only)
Option Packages:
Base- Cloth/standard radio/Black accents
Adventure- Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents/4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker/ /Cast Iron Front Diff
Lux- Leather/Chrome
Alpha-Cloth (Leather optional)/ Black Accents (Chrome optional)/Monsoon radio
OffRoad(only on Alpha) -4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker

Last edited by TAINTER; 09-04-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Banned

Interesting.. I see you saying I'm very wrong.. yet I dont see any corrections? Perhaps you misread the title and point of this thread; "what are some things to look for and stay away from"

No offense, but I'm pretty sure he's not worried about axle ratio and crawl ratio. He wants to know if the frame cracks; if trannies go like crazy; do the motors burn down; is there electrical nightmares etc. And you didn't write anything about that. I told him to watch out for the '06 and very early '07 head issues.

Quick Reply: H3 shopping - what to look for?