PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

h3 roof rack ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Default RE: h3 roof rack ideas

ORIGINAL: J

Here's mine. Kids were extra!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2623/733862BC461346298A60EBDD0E793130.jpg[/IMG]
Your kids are extra, aren't they always, talk about an arm and a leg, my four kids cost me so much extra, I hadto give up a leg.

As for cargo baskets, I like the Gobi basket and how it gets smaller toward the back, although in some ways it don't make sense, it seems if you don't tie your load goodenough it would help to have ahigh back edge tokeep things from tipping over and out, but on the other hand, climbing the ladder and into the basket for loading the basket would be easier and safer with the lower back, I think 5 to 6 inches is good for the front of the basket,and the back should be no lower than 3 to 3.5 inches, it would make it easier to get in and out of, as well it would give a nice look, I also think cornersthat are either squared or have a small diameter/radius would look best due to the square shape of the H3

I was thinking of using 1 ¼” square tube, and making three rings/layers, actually three on the front two on the back, even spaced so three layers with even space in between would give me 6.25 in the front, down to 3.75 in the back, I could reduce this to 5.75 in the front down to 3.5 in the back by spacing the rails at 1” instead of the 1.25” of the square tube, the rails would then be 66” X 45” or less, I might reduce it to 64 X 44 which would give me a half in play side to side, and an inch front and back.

Aside from extra lights, for me mainly back lights I want it spaced out for five red lights, but the center light may be my back-up camera in disguise, I’ve been either throwing my canes in the back or leaving them in my yard for when I get home, but with a roof basket I could toss them up into the basket, or attach them like some attach a hatchet or jack.

We carry a lot of lumber on the top so if I use a tapered rack, if any of us for that matter design a tapered rack, we need to keep in mind there should be a place that is level front to back so we can still carry things like lumber without having it unlevel, I would have a place where the second layer and the back are the same, so 2X4s and other material could be slid through, otherwise it might be good to have a piece that could be added or taken off to make the rack level for plywood etc.

two layer
Name:  roofrackiitwo.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  36.5 KB

Old 11-27-2008, 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

Bottom could be either or, even a combo, expanded toward the back half????? For roof racks, I prefer a smaller tubing like 1", the big stuff starts to look like your advertising for a sausage company???
Whats up doc? I don't get it, and just so you don't take this wrong, (I think I may have offended anotherwriter/member by asking what he meant) I just wanted to know, what the term "advertising for a sausage company" means, I like new sayings, or even old sayings that can be new to me, I also like using some sayings wrong, it makes my friends laugh, some know its on purpose others aren't so sure. Things like happy as a clam, eats like a bird... how is that a clam could be considered happy, they don't react to jokes, I did an entire stand up act for a bunch of clams, grouchy little turds didn't laugh at onejoke, I would have thought they were all crabs... and to eat like a bird, does this mean the person holds their food down with their hand, or foot, and pulls it apart with their mouth, of course not, but it does present a funny picture, almost like, "advertisng for a sauage company", one might think a line that could be used to describe a person with a rainbow flag, driving a Mazda Miata (SP?) which in itself leads to a funny picture could you imagion what Miata would look like with a 1.5 Inch tube roof rack, or better what woulda "Hummer" Miata look like

maybe this

Name:  hummermiata.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  81.4 KB

As a little Disclaimer: I have an odd sense of humor, some might say a crazy sense of humor, but to be clear I do not come to any forum to flame people, or to start crap, I try not to offend people, but two things will sometimes come between that goal and me; one is writing; in writing we lose facial expression, tone, inflection (sp?) basically you can't hear my tone of voice, or see my face while reading what I write, so you don't know if I am being argumentative or just being silly, so in wondering if I’m being silly, or if I’m being a dick, most cases the dick question comes to mind fist, and with so many people growing a sack while talkingto, or though their keyboards and monitors, it really is hard to tell. So in some cases internet users will begin talkingsmack, insult everyone and anyone, so far I have not seen a lot of that here, that’s why I'm making it clear, I'm joking with everyone, I don't argue with anyone, I won’t put anyone’s truck down my opinion isn’t worth slamming someone’s work, or the use of their hard earned money... heck look at the weird stuff i do to my ride... so I won’t go there, with anyones truck, i will express the things I like, and other things about members trucks, but never slam anything.

In a recentpost I did try to interject about using hard or abusive language about another members truck, in my opinion anytime someone contributes to a board they shouldn’t be slammed, we all know on any forum there are 100’s in some case 1000s more members than there are contributors, and this isn’t a bad thing, lurking as it is called provides information for thatreader, and at some point nearly everyone posts a message, for some it is the opposite of the sack growing flamers, it is like public speaking/writing, they fear the flame, fear grammar and spelling experts, or having their opinion flamed, but while lurking they are part of the group, a member of our group,why risk that with a post that gets flamed, and worse to put a picture of their ride up only to have it called queer looking, dumb, ugly, or the worse looking ride on the net, is just wrong. Any opinion should be constructive, deconstructive criticism chases lurkers, lurkers provide numbers, numbers provide sponsors, and the sponsors will hopefully pay the bills, that will allow us to have a free board.

So in closing, I'll usethe words of Rodney King, as he once said, “Stop hitting me… ouch, ouch, stop hitting me” or aum, better yet, in his later, and much more important and meaningful words, he said, “Can’t we all just get along” so all joking aside this is a great board, and I like it because we all seem to get along, and those that don't will get along in a different way, they will get along their way and find some place eles to go argue, or perhaps start advertising for a sausage company LOL

Old 12-01-2008, 10:18 AM

those are some pretty neat rack systems. I like the low profile

Old 12-01-2008, 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: hummerfamily

those are some pretty neat rack systems. I like the low profile
I like the three rack thing, but I also like that front rack with lights in it, they are expensive though, around 800.00. The three rack looks better with a basket, and keeps the basket from sagging the middle, since putting mine on I've seen at least twomore with the same set up, like most things you don't notice how many others are doing the same thing until you start. I know it'll give us an extra tie down point for the basket so it should do more than look good, or look silly depending on your point of view TEHO