PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 REAR Sunroof Drain Tubes!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 05:17 PM
Default ahh,gm?

"previous owner obviously didn't mess with it...

Thanks GM engineers... thanks a lot."

previous owner let it open too much!

all brands of sunroof work pretty much alike. the variable is the user. letting them open while sitting still may be cool but it lets dust/debris in. mine, 4yrs old, no trouble,zero.

Last edited by happythree; 05-09-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by happythree
"previous owner obviously didn't mess with it...

Thanks GM engineers... thanks a lot."

previous owner let it open too much!

all brands of sunroof work pretty much alike. the variable is the user. letting them open while sitting still may be cool but it lets dust/debris in. mine, 4yrs old, no trouble,zero.
I guess there is a reason but.. I don't understand.

I mean wouldn't it be simpler just to have it completely sealed off... like why was it designed to allow water to be inside the roof? Like once you close the sunroof... no water should be able to get in.. just kinda makes sense to me.

Does this mean my weather stripping by the sunroof is bad?

why design something that closes shut.. but lets water come in and then you have to build this elaborate drain tube system, when you could have just not let any water in at all? Or is it eniviatable with any sunroof??

Old 05-10-2014, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by hunter8793
I guess there is a reason but.. I don't understand.

I mean wouldn't it be simpler just to have it completely sealed off... like why was it designed to allow water to be inside the roof? Like once you close the sunroof... no water should be able to get in.. just kinda makes sense to me.

Does this mean my weather stripping by the sunroof is bad?

why design something that closes shut.. but lets water come in and then you have to build this elaborate drain tube system, when you could have just not let any water in at all? Or is it eniviatable with any sunroof??
yeah perfect,like everything should be, but isnt!! this isnt the space shuttle! when new they prob dont leak much. after time with zero maint they leak a tiny amount of water only since the seal is very tight. i clean and rub mine with silicon grease 4 x yr and get a trace. the clogging is caused by leaving it open for bigger than dust to get in.

its impossible to be 100 % tight.(shuttle)
i open only when flying down the road and NOT in dust/sand!

Old 05-10-2014, 11:51 AM

GM engineers certainly shouldn't have designed the grommets the way they did. That much was pure idiocy; I don't see a single benefit from having such a small opening when a larger one was not only possible, but also logical. Further, even if there is a benefit (some people have postulated it's to keep bugs out), it sure doesn't outweigh water damage.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:44 PM

Is it possible to find the drain tube under the car and just make that hole bigger? I'm not to excited about taking panels off and stuff...

Old 05-10-2014, 06:37 PM

I opened up all 4 drains and I am still getting water by my rear driver side seatbelt. Driving me crazy.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by jbwk254
I opened up all 4 drains and I am still getting water by my rear driver side seatbelt. Driving me crazy.
I wonder if getting new weather stripping for the sunroof would help? Or make your own drain tubes..

Having this problem sucks... I kinda think my car has mold under the rear carpet... not sure but it kinda smells like it...

Thanks GM

Old 05-10-2014, 10:46 PM

[QUOTE I am still getting water by my rear driver side seatbelt. Driving me crazy. ][/QUOTE]

you might not have it plugged in right at the bottom, it can be tricky.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Default update,cold rainy,drizzle

all night, it was nicer in jan, well almost. i looked out at the puddles on the roof rear of window against the rubber. up front the glass corners were puddled and trickling over the rubber onto the roof and toward the windshield.
good time to test my "grease job". i rolled up two paper towels and tucked them into the front corners. i left them as i went to do some stuff in the garage, not long, its so cold,abt 10 min.
i pulled them and rubbed them on my cheek to test for moisture,,NONE!!
I PUSHED THSM IN AGAIN TO DOUBLE CHECK, NOTHING. ONCE MORE AND THIS TIME I "CRACKED THE WINDOW SLIGHTLy TO BE SURE THEY WERE IN ALL THE WAY, OOPS . this let in water. finally they got a trace and felt damp.

you "leakers" need to get a good look at the rubber condition,AND fit. it should be almost flush with the metal,down.020 in up front, up .020 in rear.
dont ask me about those figures, its just in the book!

mine looks like a tight fit all around and remember the silicon i use keeps the rubber soft,and clean.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by happythree
all night, it was nicer in jan, well almost. i looked out at the puddles on the roof rear of window against the rubber. up front the glass corners were puddled and trickling over the rubber onto the roof and toward the windshield.
good time to test my "grease job". i rolled up two paper towels and tucked them into the front corners. i left them as i went to do some stuff in the garage, not long, its so cold,abt 10 min.
i pulled them and rubbed them on my cheek to test for moisture,,NONE!!
I PUSHED THSM IN AGAIN TO DOUBLE CHECK, NOTHING. ONCE MORE AND THIS TIME I "CRACKED THE WINDOW SLIGHTLy TO BE SURE THEY WERE IN ALL THE WAY, OOPS . this let in water. finally they got a trace and felt damp.

you "leakers" need to get a good look at the rubber condition,AND fit. it should be almost flush with the metal,down.020 in up front, up .020 in rear.
dont ask me about those figures, its just in the book!

mine looks like a tight fit all around and remember the silicon i use keeps the rubber soft,and clean.
What product should I use on my weather stripping?

Quick Reply: H3 REAR Sunroof Drain Tubes!!