PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Default H3 Questions

Hello all, im new to the forums and have had my eye on a H3 for a while now. Im going to test drive two this week and I've done some basic research (pretty much just searching this site), but was wondering if you guys could let me in on some of the common problems for the H3's so I know what to look for while im shopping for one. Also, what octane is recommened for the 5cyl engine? I know the MPG's are in the teens, which I dont mind, but was just wondering b/c I also own an Audi A4 Quattro Turbo which runs premium fuel and a lifted Dodge Dakota that gets 12 mpgs.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:24 PM

My '08 I5 likes regular gas.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 PM

mine is 2006 reg fuel, dont waste youre money on hgher fuel, not needed, look at edmunds, just google hummer h3 and the year you are looking at, i love mine, best of luck

Old 02-28-2011, 09:42 PM

Well in my 2006 H3 I5, I can tell you that when I run 87 or 89 octane you can hear a slight pinging noise coming from the top end, when I ran 93 octane I couldn't hear the noise anymore. For the price of lower grade vs. the higher grade is only 20 to 30 cents more per gallon, so if anyone calls that wasting money well then I am guilty as charged, in my manual it calls for 91 octane. Also a couple of ounces of pure acetone increases mpg but that is so freakin controversial.

Also the difference between the 3.5 to 3.7 is the freakin bore size, don't be fooled it ain't that much of a horse power increase in my opinion. It's really still the same motor.

If you get the 2006 model there is an issue with the valves not seating right in the head which causes premature failure on certain 2006's, if you get the vin # and go to a gm dealership they probalby could tell you which one's are affected. I have had one computer sh*t the bed, couldn't tell you which one, but it would have cost around $650 to replace and it was still under warranty.

Just remember some people that come to these forums are looking for an answer to try to fix it themselves or if it is a common problem, I am sure that there is a majority of people who own hummers that have nothing wrong with them for a long time and with high miles also. Three of my friends have the H3, only one of them has had the worst luck electrically, but the rest nothing. We also do light offroading.

What usually happens also is that when you do get it, it's time to start buying alot of attachments for it to customize it to you. Bigger tires, winch, air box, etc...

Last edited by 2wheelmonster; 02-28-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:47 PM

You can't go wrong with any Hummer! But it was only a couple of months ago that I was where you are. I'll tell you what I decided after my research. I decided that I wanted a 2007 or newer because of the 3.7. The 06s are great trucks but they went to the 3.7 in 07 and upped the horsepower. I have never driven one but have heard that the 3.5 feels pretty anemic. After having my 3.7 since December, I am doing the little things to even get the most out of it. The 3.5 also seemed to have had an issue with the head that the 3.7 doesn't.

I can only squeeze out about 15.5 average from my truck. Not sure how these guys are getting 18 and on up into the 20s. Maybe once I get the better exhaust on it I will see a little improvement. And I agree about running regular gas. I might run a tank of premium through ever 3-4 tanks but would never do it all the time.

Good luck on your search. We'll look forward to pictures.

Last edited by Songman; 03-01-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheelmonster
in my manual it calls for 91 octane.
Please post a picture of where it states in your manual 91 octane??
Name:  img001-1.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  98.6 KB

Anyway, REKER I hope this helps out some:

2006 H3
Base Engine 3.5L I5 (some had head issues)
Option Packages:
Base-Cloth/standard radio/Black accents
Adventure-Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents
Lux-Leather/Chrome
Option Package Combinations:
Base w/Adventure Lux w/Adventure

2007 H3
Base Engine 3.7L I5
Option Packages:
Adventure-Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents/4:1 transfer case/Rear Locker
Lux-Leather/Chrome

2008 H3
Base Engine 3.7L I5 Optional Engine: 5.3L V8 (Alpha only)
Option Packages:
Lux-Leather/Chrome
H3X-Leather/Chrome/18" wheels/Monsoon
Alpha-Leather/Chrome/Monsoon radio/Cast Iron Front Diff
OffRoad(only on Alpha) -4:1 transfer case/Rear Locker
Base w/Adventure Lux w/Adventure Alpha/OffRoad

2009 H3 & H3T
Option Packages:
Adventure- Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents/4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker//Cast Iron Front Diff
Lux-Leather/Chrome
Alpha-Cloth (Leather optional)/ Black Accents (Chrome optional)/Monsoon radio/Cast Iron Front Diff
OffRoad(only on Alpha)-4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker

2010 H3 & H3T
Base Engine 3.7L I5 Optional Engine: 5.3L V8 Flex Fuel (Alpha only)
Option Packages:
Base- Cloth/standard radio/Black accents
Adventure- Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents/4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker/ /Cast Iron Front Diff
Lux- Leather/Chrome
Alpha-Cloth (Leather optional)/ Black Accents (Chrome optional)/Monsoon radio
OffRoad(only on Alpha) -4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker

Old 03-01-2011, 01:21 AM

[QUOTE=TAINTER;244294]Please post a picture of where it states in your manual 91 octane??
Name:  img001-1.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  98.6 KB

Sorry about that TAINTER, I stand corrected. It was obvisouly a mistake and I appreciate you pointing it out with a picture from your manual. I don't know what I was thinking!!!!

Anyway...

Old 03-01-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by 2wheelmonster
Well in my 2006 H3 I5, I can tell you that when I run 87 or 89 octane you can hear a slight pinging noise coming from the top end, when I ran 93 octane I couldn't hear the noise anymore. For the price of lower grade vs. the higher grade is only 20 to 30 cents more per gallon, so if anyone calls that wasting money well then I am guilty as charged, in my manual it calls for 91 octane. Also a couple of ounces of pure acetone increases mpg but that is so freakin controversial.

Also the difference between the 3.5 to 3.7 is the freakin bore size, don't be fooled it ain't that much of a horse power increase in my opinion. It's really still the same motor.

If you get the 2006 model there is an issue with the valves not seating right in the head which causes premature failure on certain 2006's, if you get the vin # and go to a gm dealership they probalby could tell you which one's are affected. I have had one computer sh*t the bed, couldn't tell you which one, but it would have cost around $650 to replace and it was still under warranty.

Just remember some people that come to these forums are looking for an answer to try to fix it themselves or if it is a common problem, I am sure that there is a majority of people who own hummers that have nothing wrong with them for a long time and with high miles also. Three of my friends have the H3, only one of them has had the worst luck electrically, but the rest nothing. We also do light offroading.

What usually happens also is that when you do get it, it's time to start buying alot of attachments for it to customize it to you. Bigger tires, winch, air box, etc...
Thanks for the info. I got all my offroading out of my system in my lower 20's... got tired of it after breaking and fixing things. haha. With this H3, if I get one, i'll be using it for LIGHT offroading.. meaning a few fishing trips to the OBX in North Carolina and some camping trips in the mountains down dirt roads. Mainly just need it for hauling my dog, fishing equip/baseball equip/camping/snowboarding equipment. Since selling my truck, the A4 does not do a good job of equipment hauler.... as Im sure everyone can imagine.

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Please post a picture of where it states in your manual 91 octane??

2006 H3
Base Engine 3.5L I5 (some had head issues)
Option Packages:
Adventure-Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents
Lux-Leather/Chrome

2007 H3
Base Engine 3.7L I5
Option Packages:
Lux-Leather/Chrome

2008 H3
Option Packages:
Lux-Leather/Chrome
Alpha-Leather/Chrome/Monsoon radio/Cast Iron Front Diff
OffRoad(only on Alpha) -4:1 transfer case/Rear Locker

2009 H3 & H3T
Option Packages:
Adventure- Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents/4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker//Cast Iron Front Diff
Lux-Leather/Chrome
Alpha-Cloth (Leather optional)/ Black Accents (Chrome optional)/Monsoon radio/Cast Iron Front Diff
OffRoad(only on Alpha)-4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker

2010 H3 & H3T
Base Engine 3.7L I5 Optional Engine: 5.3L V8 Flex Fuel (Alpha only)
Option Packages:
Base- Cloth/standard radio/Black accents
Adventure- Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents/4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker/ /Cast Iron Front Diff
Lux- Leather/Chrome
Alpha-Cloth (Leather optional)/ Black Accents (Chrome optional)/Monsoon radio
OffRoad(only on Alpha) -4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker
Wow, thanks for that post. Very informative. Im looking to get a 2007 or 2008 with the 3.7L I5. Id love to get a 2008 with the Alpha, but I havent run across any in my area.

What size tires come stock and what size can people fit without lifting it? I think I read somewhere about leveling the front end, too.

Originally Posted by Songman
You can't go wrong with any Hummer! But it was only a couple of months ago that I was where you are. I'll tell you what I decided after my research. I decided that I wanted a 2007 or newer because of the 3.7. The 06s are great trucks but they went to the 3.7 in 07 and upped the horsepower. I have never driven one but have heard that the 3.6 feels pretty anemic. After having my 3.7 since December, I am doing the little things to even get the most out of it. The 3.5 also seemed to have had an issue with the head that the 3.7 doesn't.

I can only squeeze out about 15.5 average from my truck. Not sure how these guys are getting 18 and on up into the 20s. Maybe once I get the better exhaust on it I will see a little improvement. And I agree about running regular gas. I might run a tank of premium through ever 3-4 tanks but would never do it all the time.

Good luck on your search. We'll look forward to pictures.
Thanks, ill definitely post pictures if I decide to get one. The test drives I do will determine what I do.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by REKER
What size tires come stock and what size can people fit without lifting it? I think I read somewhere about leveling the front end, too.
Base/Lux: 265/75R16 (32x9.5x16)
Adventure/OffRoad: 285/75R16s (33x11.0x16)

You can fit up to a 35x12.5x16 (315/75R16, and it WILL fit in the spare postition on both H3 and H3T) without ANY suspension modifications at all. With a 1" body lift I have seen small 37s but then you are going into some wear and parts breakage territory I don't want to explore!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:10 AM

Go for it.................. Don't worry about reviews stating that the acceleration sucks, I feel that the I5 has enough pickup. (I own a Vette, C240, and a Solstice.) This thing is like an elephant moving, unpredictable speed and then attempts to stay at the speed limit on the road. Due to the height of the vehicle and smooth running, it feels like it's moving slower then it actually is. You are speeding before you know it.

One main problem is the clogging of the drain vents in the sunroof. I have a dealer appointment to fix this..............

Quick Reply: H3 Questions