PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 Owners - Check your CV Boots! (and how to)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Default RE: H3 Owners - Check your CV Boots! (and how to)

I would wonder if the 4wd Canyons and Colorados have the same problem. It would make sense that if they share similar drive trerrain components, they may share boots as well. Yes, I know the half shafts are longer in the H3.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:49 PM

oops

Old 08-08-2006, 06:00 PM

are you off your meds again?

Old 08-08-2006, 08:44 PM

meany

Old 08-08-2006, 09:13 PM

I just got mine out of the shop. They replaced the entire half shaft because it was quicker to do that then wait for the right part to come in. I asked what the price was for the shaft, and the service guy said about $600. I think he is off on that, maybe including labor, but at any rate, its way more expensive then the boot would have cost. I'm glad that was a warranty item.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:06 AM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

This seal protects a joint that moves back and fourth and twists and bends when you turn your tire and wheel, or hit a bump. The actual shaft that connects from your transfer case (engine for novices) to your wheel is connected by this CV joint and transfers power from your engine to your wheel.
First off, thanks for the heads up about them being a potential trouble spot. However, I have to take a moment to tell you, you don't know beans about IFS .. LOL. (no offence) If the tranfer case is connected to my cv joint, and it (the T case) is my engine (for us novices) .. then what do we do with our trannies? Can we ditch 'em to get better mileage.. How many output shafts does this transfer case have anyways? LOL .. [&:] And.. does that mean my U joint is a driveshaft?

Don't mean to pick on ya... LOL, I'm just trying to picture, in my head, what it would all look like. [>:] I'm going to go grease my muffler bearring.

The funny thing is the H3 is a GM product, while the Humvee, H1 and H2 are made by AM general (or at least designed by them), and they still can't get the H3 right. Well, it's a small problem for a what it is.
The H2 is sitting on a Tahoe frame/suspension, with tweaks and mods, just like the H3 is on the Colorado frame.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

LOL Don't worry about it. I was trying to be simple!

I know exactly how everything is connected and works, but I wanted to explain it in a way that was simple for people that don't know about cars to understand. Believe me, I read this 100 times and knew SOMEBODY was going to say I was wrong, but I didn't want to have to explain to everybody what a differential is, a transfer case, half-shaft, torsion bar, etc. because it would just be more confusing.

If you get too technical for people that don't understand engines and drivetrains, they can get confused easily. If the average car owner reads this they would probably say "What is a transfer case?" or "What is a differential?" I bet alot of people don't know what lockers and gear ratios are either.

So, I guess I am a little mis-informed about who designs what.

You mean I can't grease my muffler bearings? The next thing you are going to tell me is that I can't upgrade the spark plugs in my brake rotors. Sheesh..............

Old 08-09-2006, 11:45 PM

Would you know if the wiggling pin on the wobbling shaft that makes the shimmying bar osculate is broken? I always keep my muffler bearings full of grease, my turn signal fluid topped off, and replace my piston return springs regularly. I also keep my spark plugs fresh in my diesel truck, and my coolant clean in my old VW bug. Proper maintenance is very important.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:36 AM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

LOL Don't worry about it. I was trying to be simple!

I know exactly how everything is connected and works, but I wanted to explain it in a way that was simple for people that don't know about cars to understand. Believe me, I read this 100 times and knew SOMEBODY was going to say I was wrong, but I didn't want to have to explain to everybody what a differential is, a transfer case, half-shaft, torsion bar, etc. because it would just be more confusing.

If you get too technical for people that don't understand engines and drivetrains, they can get confused easily. If the average car owner reads this they would probably say "What is a transfer case?" or "What is a differential?" I bet alot of people don't know what lockers and gear ratios are either.

So, I guess I am a little mis-informed about who designs what.

You mean I can't grease my muffler bearings? The next thing you are going to tell me is that I can't upgrade the spark plugs in my brake rotors. Sheesh..............
I hear ya bro, simple terms are usually best. I try to do the same when I can just to keep anyone from getting all corn-fused.

ORIGINAL: Linus Gump

Would you know if the wiggling pin on the wobbling shaft that makes the shimmying bar osculate is broken? I always keep my muffler bearings full of grease, my turn signal fluid topped off, and replace my piston return springs regularly. I also keep my spark plugs fresh in my diesel truck, and my coolant clean in my old VW bug. Proper maintenance is very important.
Just remember to use only the "HUMMER" coolant in the H3. You'll know it when you see it on the shelf, it will be in a chrome bottle, and twice as much as the other brands. LOL