PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 Owners - Check your CV Boots! (and how to)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
Default H3 Owners - Check your CV Boots! (and how to)

I took my H3 in today to get the pass. side CV boot looked at. It was, in fact, torn. It was a very small hole. They even called it a pinhole, but I noticed it a few months ago.

Anyway the point is, the mechanic that changed the boot said he has seen the same problem on a few other H3's, and that they actually keep the CV boot kit in stock because of the frequent repairs. As someone on here said before, it is a kit, which means they replace the inner and outer boot for the half-shaft on the pass. side. It took about 2 1/2 hours for the repair.

The guy who wrote up the order for me said he hasn't seen that problem yet, but the mechanics have, like I said. Apparently a couple of others have also. It IS covered under warranty.

In order to check for leaks (for people aren't technical), there is an easy way to go.

Turn your wheel all the way to the right. Look on the inside of the front right wheel, and you will see a rubber seal that looks kinda like a spring. Here is a picture of it below:

Turn your wheel all the way to the left to check the driver's side as well.

If you see anything that looks like dark mud, grease, or tar in any of the cracks of the boot, you may have a leak.

This seal protects a joint that moves back and fourth and twists and bends when you turn your tire and wheel, or hit a bump. The actual shaft that connects from your transfer case (engine for novices) to your wheel is connected by this CV joint and transfers power from your engine to your wheel. IF this joint becomes dirty and the grease leaks out, it can seize up, and this is BIG trouble. If that happens, you can cause thousands of dollars in damage to other parts of your engine and transmission, all because of a little rubber boot.

I would advice anybody with a H3 to check for this, because apparently it's a known issue, but does not affect enough people to issue a recall. I would hate to see someone's H3 get ruined just because of a $10 rubber part going back. Most people don't realize it until it's too late unfortunately.

[IMG]local://upfiles/863/FA58CE9CE0F642BCBB61BC7CD811D1D0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Default RE: H3 Owners - Check your CV Boots! (and how to)

Hey Guy,

Thanks for the report..Good job![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 08-07-2006, 04:06 PM

Thanks Guy,

I will look tonight. In the mean time Dennis I showed your avatar to a "man" in our office and he would like to hook up. Let me know if your interested!!![:@]

Old 08-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

You are quite welcome. Anything I can do to help someone avert a catastrophe is worth it.

Oh yeah, and my wife wants to hook up with your avatar too. Thanks alot!!!!!!!

Old 08-07-2006, 05:32 PM

Wives and girl friends, fine..no guys[:'(]

Old 08-08-2006, 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

I took my H3 in today to get the pass. side CV boot looked at. It was, in fact, torn. It was a very small hole. They even called it a pinhole, but I noticed it a few months ago.

Anyway the point is, the mechanic that changed the boot said he has seen the same problem on a few other H3's, and that they actually keep the CV boot kit in stock because of the frequent repairs. As someone on here said before, it is a kit, which means they replace the inner and outer boot for the half-shaft on the pass. side. It took about 2 1/2 hours for the repair.

The guy who wrote up the order for me said he hasn't seen that problem yet, but the mechanics have, like I said. Apparently a couple of others have also. It IS covered under warranty.

In order to check for leaks (for people aren't technical), there is an easy way to go.

Turn your wheel all the way to the right. Look on the inside of the front right wheel, and you will see a rubber seal that looks kinda like a spring. Here is a picture of it below:

Turn your wheel all the way to the left to check the driver's side as well.

If you see anything that looks like dark mud, grease, or tar in any of the cracks of the boot, you may have a leak.

This seal protects a joint that moves back and fourth and twists and bends when you turn your tire and wheel, or hit a bump. The actual shaft that connects from your transfer case (engine for novices) to your wheel is connected by this CV joint and transfers power from your engine to your wheel. IF this joint becomes dirty and the grease leaks out, it can seize up, and this is BIG trouble. If that happens, you can cause thousands of dollars in damage to other parts of your engine and transmission, all because of a little rubber boot.

I would advice anybody with a H3 to check for this, because apparently it's a known issue, but does not affect enough people to issue a recall. I would hate to see someone's H3 get ruined just because of a $10 rubber part going back. Most people don't realize it until it's too late unfortunately.

When I was in Kuwait, every Humvee problem with CV boots. So it looks like it's a tradition. LOL!!!

Old 08-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

The funny thing is the H3 is a GM product, while the Humvee, H1 and H2 are made by AM general (or at least designed by them), and they still can't get the H3 right. Well, it's a small problem for a what it is.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:38 PM

I spray on vinyl protectant on all my rubbers...seems to keep them soft and supple

Old 08-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Oh the places I could go with that comment...

Are you talking about Armor All, or something like that?

Old 08-08-2006, 01:44 PM

Fish, fish, fish..Almost got a bite

Yes, Like Armor-all, but a product called Vinlyex, by Lexol..It doesn't have the drying, moisture robbing silicones like Armor-all does

Quick Reply: H3 Owners - Check your CV Boots! (and how to)