PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 navigation system problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:02 AM
Default H3 navigation system problems

Hi all,
i've a problem in my navigation system and i don't know if this is common or not.

1- There is no off road option where it can trace your trip to anywhere off the road.
2- doesn't show the coordinates of a any location defined in the map!!
3- there is no option where you can put certain coordinate for guidance.
4- you cant' find an update to the map "Navteq" on line. you have to find a DVD from the dealer. it is not available.

on the entertainment part:
1- the CD player doesn't play MP3.
2- there is no AUX where you can connect your ipod.
3- no bluetooth option to share your phone. you have to buy an external bluetooth kit

is this problem only for the middle east version or it is for all H3 hummer?

if there is any solution for these problems please advice me,, even if it is possible to change the whole device.

Thx

Attached Thumbnails H3 navigation system problems-03122009800.jpg  
Old 12-10-2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by vega
Hi all,
i've a problem in my navigation system and i don't know if this is common or not.

1- There is no off road option where it can trace your trip to anywhere off the road.
2- doesn't show the coordinates of a any location defined in the map!!
3- there is no option where you can put certain coordinate for guidance.
4- you cant' find an update to the map "Navteq" on line. you have to find a DVD from the dealer. it is not available.

on the entertainment part:
1- the CD player doesn't play MP3.
2- there is no AUX where you can connect your ipod.
3- no bluetooth option to share your phone. you have to buy an external bluetooth kit

is this problem only for the middle east version or it is for all H3 hummer?

if there is any solution for these problems please advice me,, even if it is possible to change the whole device.

Thx
1) Correct - the breadcrumb feature is only on 08 and later H2s when they did the redesign.
2) No Coordinates
3) No Coordinates - it's more for showing you where the roads are and how to get to Grandma's house. I'm not sure any factory nav systems have that capability? (Not sure)
4) Correct - it's DVD only - and it's expensive if you don't have a free update.

part 2:
1) Correct - there used to be an option in the non-nav radios to play MP3 cds, but no one ordered it so they dropped it. Most people didn't want to pay the price difference, especially w/ music going to hard-drive based devices anyway.

2) Correct - although GM just came out with what's called the Personal Audio Link (PAL) that can connect to the navigation or other radios, it just has to be programmed do anything other than the stock radio. Others have gotten some of the options from Best Buy and been happy with the results, too.

3) There is no bluetooth option through the navigation, though in 09 and H3 and H3T, there is a bluetooth unit that uses the same mic and electronics as the Onstar system. This is separate from Onstar phone minutes that you have to pay for, it does not require anything other than a bluetooth capable phone.

Sounds like to have what you need, you'll need to go aftermarket -- since I'm not sure any OEM has a factory system that does everything you're mentioning.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:42 AM

Thank you Hummer guy,, i just wanted to make sure that these are common issues.

maybe i'll buy Garmin Nuvi, there is a model that hs off road option, beside that it has the other basic options.

by the way, answering your question of if there is any navigation does these options,, yes there is. The navigation system for JEEP which is called My GIG, has all options i mentioned, in addition to 30G storage where you can store music files and pictures.
also it allows you to copy any music CD directly to your system, also accepting USB flash memory.

In that system you can update your map directly online, no need for DVD.

i wonder if this can be replaced with the current H3 navigation.

Thank you,

Old 12-12-2009, 08:42 AM

An independent HUMMER should get the new model design attention that it needs -- unfortunately at GM, updates to the HUMMER brand (e.g. Aux audio input) was available on a ton of other models first, and still isn't available on the H3. Only just recently did they make the Ipod accessory.

While I consider myself an audiophile, I wouldn't (and didn't) let radio options dictate what vehicle I bought.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:12 AM

By the way, I just had the PAL installed and I'm hoping my copy is butched because it is brutal. I mean, it really sucks. Does not perform as indicated in the manual, is slow, and the interface is terrible. The good news is that the music sounds great but very very disappointed.