PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 info

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:45 PM

You cant go wrong with the alpha for pulling power. I pull a twenty foot sea ray at 65mph with no problems at all.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:01 AM

You can't go wrong with the Alpha but you will also have to factor the price into the decision. Even on the used market and Alpha will probably cost you an average of $1,500 - $2,000 more than the 3.7 liter depending on mileage and overall condition.

Is the extra money worth it? In my opinion, absolutely!!! You will not regret having the extra power and giving up a little bit on the mileage. Let's face it, all Hummer's have horrible gas mileage and you don't buy them for economy.

And one final note that you might want to take into consideration. General Motors did not manufacture all that many H3's to begin with and there were even fewer Alpha's made. Even during the '08 model year which was the biggest year for H3's Alpha's were fairly rare. I live in the burbs of Chicago and besides the one I have in my garage, I have only seen one other Alpha on the road in 2011.

So if you are at all interested in a rare vehicle, go with the Alpha. If you want to take it to a whole new level in rarity go with a Red or Orange Alpha with the H3X luxury package.

Good luck and welcome to the Hummer world.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:56 PM

I would like to have the alpha, but as I know they never came as a right hand driver!?
Swapping the motor is one thing in my mind, but then to a diesel engine!
This is what they should put in the H3...a nice 6zyl. turbo diesel engine...

Old 05-22-2011, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by cshsrh
I too have the I5 and while it's no drag truck ( was'nt built to be)
The Alpha is a drag truck! Or at least I was having fun pretending it was the other weekend at cruisefest....

YouTube - ‪CruiseFest 2011 DragRaces Pt 3.‬‏

Old 05-23-2011, 03:36 AM

I have an 06 I5 and I am happy with it. I have never driven an alpha and at this point(gas prices) I dont want to know what I may be missing. 90% of my driving is highway speeds around 75 and I feel I still have enough power to manuver where I want and drive aggressively if needed. I dont feel as though I am at the limits and can only simply react to what is happening around me. Gas mileage for either engine isnt the best and take what everybody says about it with a grain of salt. If the V8's got the same mileage as the I5's, why would they have used the I5's? I have also towed my dads 19 ft fiberglass boat with an I/O a number of times and felt quite comfortable. I was skeptical before the firsrt towing simply from what I had read on here but I felt it performed much better than I anticipated. Evaluate your driving and figure out what best suits you. Remember its a Hummer so people are already impressed before they know what is in it.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Draketh
The Alpha is a drag truck! Or at least I was having fun pretending it was the other weekend at cruisefest....

YouTube - ‪CruiseFest 2011 DragRaces Pt 3.‬‏
LOL. Did you win? What was your time? Come on spill, that was great. Hummer vs Caddy.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:08 PM

well i am new h3 owner so here is what i have to say. i bought my 08 H3 3.7 a few weeks ago. Had a 08 audi tt and me and the wife decided if we want to start a family a audi tt wasnt going to cut it. so we sold the audi for a decent dollar and got the hummer (her choice). i wanted to the fx35 infiniti but it wasnt really a "truck" it was a sporty car lifted. I tow a jetski a lot, and the h3 tows it with no problems. i feel the truck has more then enough power for anything i would throw at it. if your looking to tow massive weight above 3500lbs i would opt for the v8. if your going tow anything less i would stick with the 3.7L. i love my hummer, i love the way it handles, it feels. i have only one complaint.... i wish i had the monsoon. the speakers arent the greatest. the audi had 10 speaker bose system from factory. its like night and day the sound difference, but thats my only complaint. love the truck! good luck!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by V8-H3
LOL. Did you win? What was your time? Come on spill, that was great. Hummer vs Caddy.
They weren't running times, it was a pretty rowdy crowd, didn't want people fighting or competing too hard. It was basically a weekend long party disguised as a car show.

I beat an escalade, tahoe, avalanche, H2, expedition, couple jeeps, that's about it.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:43 AM

shiesaregray-
I have an 07 with the adventure package and the five speed trans
I too go off roading and the adventure package was a wise purchase
It has great low gearing for almost every circumstance, perhaps even your rock crawling
Like the other posts above, this is not really a towing vehicle or fast highway cruiser, but off road is another matter.
I wanted a specific vehicle for going off road and this doesn't disappoint.
The I5 and five speed trans gets about 21 MPG when you drive just below 65 MPH on the highway if your careful about that . . .
Good luck

Last edited by wfturner; 05-24-2011 at 10:50 AM.