PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 info

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Default H3 info

I am new to the hummer world and would like some advice from actual h3 drivers. I am looking at 2007+ h3 5cyl. I guess my question is to 5cyl drivers, do you wish you had the v8 or do you feel like the 5cyl is adequate. Alternatively, v8 users do you wish you had the 5cyl for fuel economy reasons? I know I am not going to be rock crawling but I would be in muddy trails and sandy beaches. Will be a daily driver to work as well.

Any advice would be greatly helpful.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:01 PM

I have the 5 cyl. and really like it. My father has the V8 so I driven both quite a bit. The V8 has more power that's for sure but do you need it? I made a check list of pluses and minuses before getting mine and I decided on the 5 cyl. The V8 is great for towing and for passing on the highway. The 5 cly can do anything else the V8 can. Even passing on the highway is okay, but not as zippy as the V8. Test drive each one and make your decision. That is the best way to decided IMHO. I did add a performance exhaust, cold air intake, and retuned PCM which made the 5 cyl drive like a different beast. Much better. Let me know if you have any other questions.

- Jason

Old 05-19-2011, 04:19 PM

'07 I5 is a nice choice. I had one then traded in for a '08 Alpha V8. The 3.7 is a real good engine for all around use. I used to pull my 3600 lb boat around no problem. My Alpha has a lot more off the line oomph and way more towing. Mpg's are very close actually. I did 19-20 hwy with the I5 and 18 avg on the V8. The I5's have had head problems, and mine did too. 100,000 mile warrenty though took care of it though.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:37 PM

After driving both while shopping around I had to have an Alpha. I just couldn't handle the performance of the I5 after getting out of the driver seat of an Alpha. Just my two cents, but power and performance have been huge for me in any vehicle I've ever bought.

My alpha sits in the driveway right next to a Blue 07 I5, and the owner of that is more than content with it.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:47 PM
rsc

I have an 07 Adventure with K&N filter and CAI, but otherwise stock, ie. no luggage rack, winch or brush guard. When I test drove mine around town I felt that it had plenty of power and accelerated well. After buying it and getting it on the highway I feel the overall gearing is just a tad too high, that the engine runs in a dip in the powerband between 1900-2300 right at cruising speeds. I might be wrong about the dip, but drag starts getting strong above 60-65 and the power hasn't built enough to have a large surplus of power over the drag, especially in strong winds. You end up driving just under the downshift point or hunting between gears a lot. I do think that a PCM retune should fix that though. Otherwise, power is adequate for hwy driving if you plan ahead and don't just react to speed changes. If I put my foot in it, the power is good but fuel mileage will drop off too so it's a trade off. Overall, I think the 3.7 is adequate on the highway, but you do have to plan ahead with your driving and at anything below interstate speeds you will be plenty happy with it as a DD.

Last edited by rsc; 05-20-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: rechecked engine rpms on hwy
Old 05-21-2011, 12:17 PM

I have the I5 and its good enough, it will take you up to high way cruising speed in no time and if you are not care full enough will get you a ticket. As it will creep up to 75 80 in no time..........It's a truck not a sports car, it was primary geared for off road. I also have a Vette, when I want to fly and pass everything on the road, I take out the Vette. When I want to cruise in style and need a SUV, I take the Hummer. If I cruise in style and don't need an SUV, then I take the Mercedes.

Bottom line is, it's a truck, speed it is not and should not be, that's why you see so many SUV's wrecked, sliding off the road, over corrected and hitting trees. People in them attempt to drive them as cars...............NOT/

Old 05-21-2011, 12:58 PM

I too have the I5 and while it's no drag truck ( was'nt built to be) it'll ride out nicely....Once up to crusing speed she will hold and accelerate with great ease and has plenty of power for holding your speed also....THe I5 has crazy torque and in 4lo it dont matter cause she'll git r done.....

Old 05-21-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Draketh
After driving both while shopping around I had to have an Alpha. I just couldn't handle the performance of the I5 after getting out of the driver seat of an Alpha. Just my two cents, but power and performance have been huge for me in any vehicle I've ever bought.

My alpha sits in the driveway right next to a Blue 07 I5, and the owner of that is more than content with it.
I agree with Draketh, I drove both and I couldnt handle the performance from the I5 so i got an 08 alpha and I love it. I am getting about 15MPG so the mileage isnt so bad. I am planning on buying a boat next year and I dont see the I5 pulling anything imo.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:01 PM

The Alpha is a better choice IMO but it definitely does not set any land speed records

Old 05-21-2011, 06:23 PM

I had a 3.7 I-5 ADV 07 nice truck traded it for an 08 Alpha for the pulling power alone. They are great trucks however if you need pulling power go with the Alpha.
Good luck however you choose!

Quick Reply: H3 info