PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3/H3T shock upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Default H3/H3T shock upgrades?

I used the Search mode for this question and I found arguments/theories on length etc...and no shock brands or solutions. I want stiffer shocks for high speed driving for my H3T. I would like the fronts to be 2" longer than stock to compensate for my Dynastar leveling kit. (Please don't start the length argument now.) I know what I need. Anyway, on other threads, I have heard of Fox, Bilstein, and Rancho as some of the best ones to think of.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:14 AM

I've had Bilstein 5100's, readylift torsion keys/shackles (3"), trail duty bumpstops on for over a year and no problems, rides like a caddy, plus I have the offroad/adventure pkg.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:28 AM

Nice, I have the adventure package as well. Which includes "specially valved shocks" per the trucks code. I think maybe they are too soft for everyday driving/use. Thanks for the input.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:34 AM

The Bilsteins are pretty good up here in Chgo, handles the potholes, railroad tracks/jumps and turns without a lot of body roll surprisingly well. We do a lot of camping/offroad trips, even with a full load it handles better than the stock stuff, without the *** drooping in the back.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:23 PM

I just ordered rs5000 for my 07, I had them on all my 4x4 no trouble and the ride is good.

Well I after I ordered them, they called and told me that Rancho doesn't make them for a non lifted h3. So I ordered a set of Bilsteins. I love them it rides like a totally different vehicle much much better.

Last edited by Nmocean; 06-01-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:38 PM

I've heard nothing but good reviews on the Blisten's. Ranchos aren't what they used to be though.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by gpcalero
I've heard nothing but good reviews on the Blisten's. Ranchos aren't what they used to be though.
I guess you haven't read enough reviews of them on H3/H3Ts on this and other HUMMER forums. Plenty of good and bad out there when it comes to the Bilstein/Cognito 5100s on H3/H3Ts.

Had them for a while and disliked the ride both on and OffRoad the entire time. Once one of them blew out @ only 15K miles and they would not replace or even prorate the replacement. That was it for me, I finally got rid of them and went back to the OEM Adventure AND OffRoad Package shocks.

I did the Hunner 1/2" nut trick on my OEM Adventure AND OffRoad Package shocks (rigs are T-bar leveled) and I got back to the sweet spot of the OEM shocks and could not be happier with the ride and flex both on and OffRoad.

Fox will be the next shocks for us when the OEMs take a turn for the worse. More expensive but you can rebuild them and Fox stands behind their stuff unlike Beilstein/Cognito.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:09 AM

I replaced my stock adventure shocks (which I found good and very long lasting and durable) with fox shocks...very happy with the change...im in the dunes pretty much every week.....they are nice, wont work if you have lifted though... im very happy...

Old 05-31-2012, 09:22 AM

Kiwi, they do make a FOX shock for a leveled H3. They are not cheap!

But they will last, are totally rebuildable and made by a company who cares about their customers!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:57 PM

They make them for the Rancho lifted suspension also, jbetz installed them on his T (over on page 3) but he hasn't logged on here since last year so don't know how they did for his usuage.

Quick Reply: H3/H3T shock upgrades?